Chapter 25 - Not A Good Idea

Jay had been staring at the phone number the whole ride, his lips stuck in a smile the whole time. He suddenly felt wanted, as if he could receive some love from people after all, and he inhaled a sharp sight, remembering the feeling of her palm or even the way their bodies fit in such a puzzle.

He was pulled from his thoughts when he heard, "How long are you going to stare at that phone number?"

"Sorry," he shoved it inside his jacket pocket, "I don't usually get those." The silence seemed quite tense, and Jay wasn't sure why.

Kane continued, "Are you really going to call her?"

Jay paused for a moment, noticing something strange from Kane's voice, "Why does it seem like you think it's a bad idea?"

"Because you don't know her."

"I know her name's Ava..."

"And that's it," he eyed Jay for a second, watching his smile start to fade, "that's not a good idea."

"We could meet at a public place."

Kane shook his head, "Suit yourself, I still don't think you should."

"Why not?" Jay felt attacked, "You had sex with Jamie and you didn't even know her either."

"She's my sister's best friend, that's completely different. I'm not saying you can't go meet her, that's your choice. I'm here as a friend to give you advice—"

"And as a friend, you should support me."

"I don't want to hear that Jay," Kane snorted in disbelief, "I'm not at fucking school because I support you so do not even say that to me."

"You didn't support me that one time I built up the courage to come to the cafeteria and you blew me aside."

"How many times are you going to keep bringing that up?" Kane's fingers squeezed the steering wheel, all his muscles tightening in his face. "I wasn't pissed off, but now I am. I'm trying to have a conversation to help you, but you keep throwing that in my face like that isn't the biggest regret I have right now."

"Because I trusted you then," Jay leaned forward, "who's to say you trying to get me away from her isn't some kind of scheme again?"

"I'm done talking," Kane felt a sudden anger burn through his blood that he needed to end this conversation immediately. "Call her, do whatever you want—"

"Why are you mad?"

"I said," Kane turned into Jay's apartment parking lot, bringing his car to a halt, "we're done talking about this. I don't care what you do, leave me out of it."

"Okay, I will."

"Good."

"Thank you for today."

"Welcome."

"Are you going to school tomorrow?"

"Maybe."

"Why are you being dry—"

"Can you get out of my car?"

Kane turned to him, meeting the hazel eyes of Jay. He felt his heart sting when Jay's eyes fell and appeared broken, his lips turned down as he kept his eyes locked with Kane's. He wanted to talk to him, but Kane seemed to be pushing him away once again, the same way he had done in the cafeteria.

He opened his mouth to say something, but nothing came out. Instead, he pushed open the car door and left the car, closing it behind him and heading inside his apartment building.