Chapter 13 - Robotics Club

"Sign up day!"

First period was a free period only for this day, since it was the day of signing up into clubs. Kane and Ally both walked together inside the cafeteria, seeing multiple poster board and a line of students rotating from station to station. There was the cooking club, the cheerleaders squad, the football players thought they were a fraternity already and had a poster board as well, considering themselves not just a sport or a club—not to mention, the principal completely allowed it—and they had a list of recommended freshman, and a list of "golden rejections". Those were the people that were considered losers and could never join the football club, which basically meant they could not join the football team. Well, they could, if getting bullied and harassed whenever you stepped foot into the locker room away from the coach's sight, was a life one seriously wanted to live.

Kane had not been able to stop about Jay, and as much as he attempted to act as if everything was fine, he physically felt his heart ache whenever the memories of Jay's swollen eyes replayed in his mind. He wasn't sure how he could potentially fix it, since he knew he had done the worse thing he could have possibly done. Ally tried to cheer him up, offering to cuddle with him last night—which Kane accepted—and he ranted about what had happened in the cafeteria for an hour, his head laying on her stomach.

Even so, after all the ranting and the hours spent thinking about him, it did not once calm the hurt he felt within him. He knew he needed to do something, but he wasn't sure what.

Until he noticed the robotics club was coming up, and an eyes suddenly lit up when he noticed Jay was seated at the poster boards, greeting all the people that walked by and stopped to chat about the club. Kane had no idea what robotics was even about, other than maybe building robots, and he had never planned on joining the club. But he needed an excuse, something to bring himself a bit closer to Jay.

Jay noticed that Kane and Ally were coming up, and instantly glanced elsewhere, turning to his partner and starting a random conversation as they waited for other students to approach them. Kane's figure was drawing nearer, and Jay was starting to sweat, hoping that he didn't stop to speak with him.

Ally kept going.

But Kane stopped.

Jay's partner, Cole, stood to his feet as Kane's eyes reviewed the poster board, "Hi! You're interested in the robotics club?"

Kane shook his head before admitting, "Not at all." He reached for the pen in the table and looked at the paper with the list of names, "Is this where I sign?"

"That is the joining list...you said you weren't interested—"

"Like I said," Kane seemed to grow angry from that comment, signing his name and his email address before lifting his eyes and narrowing his eyes towards Cole, "I'm not."

Cole was unsure what to do, and instead, forced a smile, straightening his spine and retrieving the pen, "No problem, did you want to know a bit more information about r—"

"No," and after that, he walked away, catching up to Ally without glancing backwards.

He knew he would get pressured when he reached the football club sign up sheet; even Jasper wrapped an arm around his shoulders and said, "You're on the recommended list. You sure you're not interested?"

"Ask me in a few weeks," Kane snorted, glancing towards Ally who rolled her eyes and waited until the line moved forward, "maybe then I'll even consider saying yes to you wannabe frat boys."

Jasper chuckled, nudging him, "I swear you'd make a good shotgun partner."

"You have no idea," he nodded his head, nudging Jasper back. "I'll think about it." He was certainly not going to think about anything, joining the football club was the last thing he would do, hell he'd rather join the singing choir before being in the same club as Jasper.

Jasper eyed all the students that walked past the table, and there were many that reached for the pen and one of the players would steal the pen away and Jasper would point on the list and say, "You're on the golden rejection, sorry."

"I played football in grade school and for a travel team—I'm good!"

"Not good enough for us," Kyle laughed, high-fiving his nearest teammate, and the saddened freshman would walk away. Many were still determined and instead headed to the coach, who welcomed them with opened arms. But it was not uncommon that those who got permission from the coach instead, quit after the first week.

Regardless, that was not a club Kane wanted to be apart, and when they continued along with the crowd, Kane stopped when he realized there was a parts shop club. He eyed the details of the poster board, seeing that they were going to teach about motorcycles and vehicles, how to repair them and have information on shadowing and internships.

Instantly, Kane grabbed the pen and signed his name, and it was during the time he was signing, that he was spoken to, "I'm glad you're interested in our club. My name is Joey," he extended his palm, and when Kane glanced upwards, he was shocked to see someone with the same coloured eyes as him.

Joey was lean but toned, about six foot one with way too wide of shoulders compared to his waist. He had his hair in a bun, and his brows were trimmed nicely, sharply framed. His face was quite rounded, but Kane could not help but smile as well when he noticed the dimples poking his cheek.

"We have the same coloured eyes," Kane greeted, firmly gripping his palm, "I'm Kane."

"I'm glad you're interested. Are you a freshman? I can't remember seeing you around."

"Transferred senior."

"Oh, that makes sense. But yes, we start our meeting the third week of school, just to make sure that you've got the chance to take a look and attend a few other meetings with different clubs before settling in with us."

"No problem, I could really learn a lot with you guys."

"If you'd like, we have a pamphlet? You can look over what we learn and go through it."

"Sweet," he grinned, "see you soon."

"For sure," Joey winked, and Kane walked away, catching to Ally and showing her the pamphlet.

"Isn't that amazing?"

"You better be careful with that one," Ally nodded her heads towards Joey who sat down and was no longer greeting anymore students.

Kane frowned, "What do you mean?"

"What do you mean 'What do you mean'?!" Jane exclaimed, forming a high squeaky pitch voice to mock Kane, even though it resembled nothing like this actual voice. "Did you not see the way he was staring at you? Yuck, it seemed as if he was trying to undress you with his eyes. For sure liked what he saw, lemme tell ya'..."

He glanced backwards to Joey, before returning his gaze to Ally, "Nah, you're just messing."

"Alright, whatever you say."