Chapter 37 - Choose Me

The bell to next period had rang, but neither of them moved. Jay still had Kane's phone in his palm, and his face had drained of colours when the cellphone rang a sixth time. On the phone, Ava's name popped out, and it rang for a few seconds because it went silent.

Kane stepped towards Jay, attempted to reach for his phone, but Jay pulled it away, stepping backwards. "Explain first, Kane," his breath was shaky, tears along the time of his eyes. "tell me the truth."

Kane sighed, tilting his head. With the way Jay's looked at him, as if all his trust had been shattered once again, he was unsure whether the truth would be beneficial at this moment. Hence why he lied, "Ava was going to ask you out." He noticed Jay's eyes widen, and Kane forced a smile, "She wants to surprise and didn't want you to find out."

Instantly, Jay's face filled with colours, and he began wiping his eyes, handing over Kane's belongings to him. The way he believed him that easily made Kane feel even worse about lying, "Wow, I ruined the surprise for myself now. She's been talking to you about it?"

"She wanted to surprise you in the best way possible," Kane reached around his shoulders.

Jay beamed, "That's why you said we were both moving too fast...should I still ask her out then?"

"No," Kane shook his head, "wait until she does it."

***

Kane had a plan in mind, and it would only take a few betrayals to execute it. The only way he could prove Ava was not a good person, was if he had Jay catch her in the act. It was going to have to be behind Jay's back, but that's the length he needed to go to protect his cherished friend.

That evening, he returned Ava's call and they decided to meet on the hill next to the lake. When Ava arrived, she was wearing a tight fitted dress with her curls bouncing off her shoulders, and Kane had not changed at all since the morning.

The moment she approached him, she was stuck bewildered when Kane clamped his palms on Ava's pointy jaw and squeezed his lips into hers. She welcomed them, deepening the kiss with her own lips, biting his bottom lip and begging for more as she gripped his shirt, pulling his body tighter against her own. She felt as if the magic had erupted, flowers dancing around them as she felt all the rawness of his love behind the kiss—or at least she thought she did.

Once they pulled apart, Kane exhaled a long sigh, "I don't care what Jay thinks. I want you—choose me."