Chapter 52 - I Still Have Your Key

Kane had not expected for that to happen that night, but it did. Near midnight, while laying in bed and thinking about the night he spent with Jasper, he got a text message. It had been from someone he had not spoken to in a while, and the moment he saw her name, he shut his phone and decided not to answer. Until he then received a call and the vibration caused a sleep Ally to groan, and eventually, he pressed the green button and placed the phone to his ear.

"Can I help you?"

"I need to speak with you."

Kane debated whether it was a good idea or not. Ever since they announced the beginning of their relationship, he didn't want to ruin anything more than he already had. The genuine smile filled with such heart and soul in Jay's eyes seemed way too lively to be ripped off at the moment, and he wanted to avoid taking that away at all cost, even if it meant lying for just a short period of time longer.

But he wondered what she had to say.

He cleared his throat, "No; have a good night."

"I know you're mad at me," she sighed, scratching the side of her face and staring at the clock at the corner of her bedroom wall. After a short pause, she added, "Let me explain myself."

"No, it's better that way."

"Please Kane," she begged and it sounded as if she was near tears. That was why he again went against his mother's rules and grabbed her car keys, closing the window behind him while he headed to the car, his hood over his hair. He drove behind the woods of her home, and she soon enough appeared in her silky robe again, holding it tightened around her waist and folding her arms.

The moment she stepped inside, Kane was enthralled into the mature scent of perfume she wore, as if she was a business woman having built her own empire. There was also a small hint of roses, and he couldn't help but lean forward to get more of it. It had been a while he hadn't seen her, and she seemed a bit nervous from the way she stared at him. She barely met his gaze, constantly bit the end of her thumb nail and stuttered when she greeted him.

He drove away quietly, finally removing his hood and almost running through a red light when she said, "I'm falling in love with Jay." Kane thought his heart had burst from his chest when he heard that, and he turned to her in disbelief, unsure if he had heard that correctly. When he didn't respond, she exhaled a long breath, "I know you wouldn't know what to say; I guess I was pretty unfaithful when I first started talking to him."

"Is there something you needed from me?" He was dry, unable to buy the sudden act of desperation and in need of help. She didn't care at all about his feelings when she made out with Kane at the party, begging him to kiss her on the hill before they jumped in the water or even when he met up with her and told her to choose him, she had no problem accepting that request.

But now, she was seconds from crying when she said, "Please, don't tell him what happened between us, I beg of you." She sucked in her bottom lip, her eyes curling with such sorrow that Kane had to look away. There were way too many thoughts rushing through his mind at the moment and he rolled down the window for a whiff of fresh air. Jay deserved to know as her boyfriend, but it was before they official started dating. "I didn't know how much he would mean to me, but now that I know, I'm scared to lose him."

"You were going to go to a hotel with me, Ava."

"You told him about that. Either way, him and I got past that. Just..." she shrugged her shoulders, "let us be. I'll tell him myself when the time is right. At this time now, let us be happy."

***

Jay never had visitors. Unless it was Lady May, but she always knocked early evenings, never this late. He was way too groggy to even think to check the peephole, but the minute he did, he wished he had never opened the door.

The green eyes that stared back at him made him instantly fully awake, and he was moments from slamming the door again but the palm way much quicker, clamping its fingers around the door's edge and letting himself in, Jay stumbling backwards.

Jasper closed the door behind him and removed his jacket, his fingers curls still wet from the shower he just took a few minutes earlier before he decided to give a little visit to an old friend of his. He stared down at a panicking Jay, seeing the way his eyes travelled everywhere, anything to help him.

"Relax," Jasper frowned, walking past him and making his way to the kitchen, "I'm not here to hurt you. I had no idea you live alone." Jasper's footsteps were much stronger than his home, the ground shaking with each step. He reached the fridge and pulled it open, seeing a few bottles of water and grabbing one for himself. "I am pretty thirsty, I was doing some stuff in the shower so it did get me a bit tired."

An image formed in Jay's head and he wished it hadn't, because the moment it did, his cheeks began to warm and Jasper saw the way his eyes seemed to change expression for only a second. He smirked, "Whatever you're thinking I was doing, yes I was."

Jay gulped, trembling and placing his palms on his kitchen counter, watching Jasper lean against the stove. He had always admired his physique, admired his wealth and the popularity he had around the school. But he knew someone like Jasper and himself would never be compatible, not even as friends.

"W-Why...why d'you visit me?"

"Now now," Jasper winked, "don't act like I'm not wanted here. I still have your key," Jasper smiled. He paused for a moment, leaving his empty bottle on the sink before he said, "I only knocked because I wanted to see if you'd open the door for me."

"W-What do you w-want, Jasper?"

"You haven't told Kane about what happened with us, right? When Ally and I were dating...about the whole thing that went down even after that?"

Jay shook his head, "I already promised you I wouldn't tell anyone."

"Then I think it's time I owe you some truth too." He pointed to the living room, "I need to tell you a few things about the people around you."

"Which people?"

Jasper laughed, "The only two people you have. Ava and Kane—have a seat."