Chapter 91 - Never Going to be Alright

The moment he arrived, he didn't think he would leave his car. He thought of even driving away, returning another day or even simply letting it go and moving on from a friendship—they may never have been anything more ever and they're friendship may have faltered anyway. But he couldn't let himself do that. He cared about him, enjoyed being around a carefree spirit such as his and he absolutely adored the way he smiled as if anything in life was possible.

He had been the one to shatter that smile and that caused his heart to ache. Even at school, he was clearly avoided and when they were near one another, he made sure that they weren't a few seconds later. There was one way to settle this tense chemistry and it was to have a conversation and let everything be lifted off their shoulders.

Kane finally left his car right around the time that his practice had ended, and he entered the gymnasium, walking along halls until he found the gigantic arena where the wrestling team conducted their practices. As he had expected, he was there, pulling down on his uniform with his curls filled with dripping sweat. He watched as he shoved his shirt on, then his sweats before leaning forward and letting his curls float before eventually shoving it into a bun.

He observed the way he lifted his duffel bag to his shoulder, placing his fist in the centre with the rest of his team and they cheered. A few of them grinned as they started chatting away, and Kane observed him as he started making his way up the bleachers, in a conversation with one of his teammates when he glanced upwards and had to glance a second time before his gaze fixated on Kane. He hadn't expected him to show and Kane gulped when he noticed Robby's face fall, not an inch of his face seemed content to see him here.

When Robby finally drew near him, he paused in front of him and lifted his chin. "What are you doing here?"

The hostility was clear in the way his shoulders broadened but Kane didn't want to let whatever they had die this way. He had acted absolutely out of line on the weekend and Ally had scolded him more times than he could count, but he should be given the benefit of the doubt to make it right.

He scratched the side of his face, too embarrassed to meet Robby's gaze again. "I thought we could talk."

"About what exactly?" It was clear Robby had no intention of being cool with him, leaning forward and raising an eyebrow.

Kane sighed. "I wanted to apologize."

"I don't need an apology," Robby lowered his head and started walking past him, "it's fine, we're good."

"Robby," Kane reached for his shoulder, "at least a conversation—"

"We had one already Kane," Robby whispered harshly as he shoved his hand away, not wanting any other person to notice the tension between them. "And like I said, it's fine."

"Robby, I like you alright?" Kane admitted, not wanting him to leave without this being settled. He watched as Robby's shoulders suddenly fell and his footsteps stopped. After shaking his head, he slowly turned around, his lip squeezed into a line as he waited for Kane to finish what he was going to say. Kane shrugged his shoulders. "Seeing you with that girl bothered me and I overreacted. As much as you don't want me to say it's because I was drunk, being drunk did make me act worse. Look," Kane stepped towards him, "I'm really sorry and I didn't mean to ruin our friendship."

Robby's face softened, his eyes no longer as narrowed and his lips weren't curled anymore. He didn't answer for a few minutes, simply eyeing Kane as the memories of the weekend replayed vividly in his mind. As much as he wanted to keep avoiding him and let their friendship die, he wasn't prepared to let it go either.

He exhaled a long sigh. "Kane, the reason I was upset was because you reminded me of Ryan." After a short pause, he added, "Made me feel as if I was his possession and not a person and I hate that feeling—what I want has to be considered too."

"Of course Robby," Kane tilted his head. "I never meant to make you feel that way and I'm sorry that I did."

Robby scratched the side of his face, not yet ready to accept this until he had the full scoop on what was going on. "You said you never wanted this."

"I know what I said." He sent his fingers through his hair before shaking his head. "To be honest with you, I was thinking about Jasper when I said that." When Robby frowned, Kane nodded his head. "We had something and he said he loved me and just...disappeared and it just made me freeze. But the truth is," he started closing the distance between them and Robby eyed their surrounding before returning his gaze to Kane, noticing that they were getting much closer than he expected. Kane's lips were near his and he had to resist the urge to connect them, not wanting to reveal it just yet to everyone around here. "I want you so much and I can't fake it anymore."

Robby's lips spread into a long smile and he bit his bottom lip, turning around and making his way up the bleachers. "Then let's go grab something go eat, I'm starving."

Kane followed behind him with a grin, beaming as they started walking through the hallways. "By the way, I didn't hear her moan from my house."

"That was because she didn't moan at all," Robby nudged him. "I drove home after our conversation."

"You broke her heart."

"She'll live," they laughed.

***

They talked endlessly, neither of them wanting to head home. But eventually they had to, and Kane knew this was not going to be the last time they went out to eat together. They didn't kiss though; it didn't seem as if Robby wanted to just yet but they did hit it off in a way they hadn't before.

But the moment Kane reached his house, the image of Robby suddenly vanished from his brain and he focused on the crying boy at his doorstep. He hadn't expected this sight, rapidly parking the car and storming to his porch, forgetting to even turn off his motor.

"Jay?" he shouted, Jay's head finally raising and he noticed how droopy and red his eyes were. Kane rapidly threw his arms around him, caressing him into a comforting embrace as he let Jay rest his head against his shoulder and burst into louder sobs. He cried for what seem to be an eternity and Kane patted his back while squeezing his hug, letting him know he would be alright.

But Jay was not believing any of his words. "No, it's never going to be alright!"

"Jay," Kane frowned, keeping his grip around him, "what's going on?"

"Jasper's father kicked me out."