Chapter 99 - You Love Me

Kane shook his head, his face suddenly losing all its contortion as he glanced elsewhere. A small sigh escaped his lips, feeling a sudden ache tightening his chest when he admitted, "Your father kicked Jay out of his apartment." It was hard to admit that, only because he recalled how Jay had been, barefoot, at his porch. His eyes were crawling with tears, his entire body had been trembling and he seemed to be a lost puppy.

However, he hadn't expected that look to cross Jasper's eyes. It was complete disbelief, as if he had been told one of his family members had passed. At first, he placed his palm on his forehead, distancing himself for a little breather in order to regain control of his thoughts. But then, the only thing he could think of was confronting his father, and without any other word, he reached for his hoodie and began putting it on.

"Jasper," Kane stopped him before he could leave, "it's fine, we have a place for Jay here."

"It's not fine—my father signed the same agreement. Jay deserves that place and the money; he can't just revoke it like that."

Kane shook his head, "Are you sure you want to do this?"

"Of course I do Kane. You haven't known Jay as long as I have," he spat, nudging his shoulder before walking towards the exit.

Kane didn't want to see him leave. It felt as if his peace was finally returned, having wished for this moment for weeks, to suddenly having him vanish once more. He didn't want this to be their last meeting before Jasper left town again, and without even realizing, he blurted, "When are you leaving?"

"I was never planning on staying." It had been very dry, as if Kane had never mattered to him. Kane wondered if Jasper was feeling what he was; the lust and the want, fulfilling their forbidden lust one last time. But Jasper's eyes maintained their iciness, even when Kane approached him by the door.

Kane bit his bottom lip. "Can you at least tell me where you're going?"

"Why do you care?"

When he said that, Kane thought his heart had dropped to his stomach. He wasn't sure how to answer, furrowing his brows for a second before he finally said, "I shouldn't but I do."

"Trust me, when you find out what I did to him, you won't want to be." Jasper started walking away from the door, staring at Kane. However, he paused his in steps for a second, a thought suddenly crossing his mind that he knew he needed to ask. "By the way treasure," he tilted his head, "why didn't you say I love you back?"

Kane frowned, glancing elsewhere and scratching the side of his face. He had to think about this one; the night they were laying in Kane's bed and Jasper drunkenly admitted his love. He was right, Kane hadn't said it back. It was true that he didn't love Jasper yet, but that wasn't why he didn't say it. He shrugged his shoulders, "I was half-asleep—"

"No, no..." Surprisingly, Jasper started walking forward again, climbing the stairs before stepping onto the porch, approaching Kane. "Tell me the truth..."

Ever since that day, Kane had multiple assumptions crossing his mind, none that he could really decide. Kane thought it was because he wasn't ready. Or maybe because Jasper was not who he wanted to have a future with and he was leading him on. He even thought that Jasper hadn't meant it because he was drunk.

But finally, Kane did know why he didn't say. He cleared his throat, knowing that it would sting for Jasper to hear this but he needed to.

After a long exhale, he finally said, "It's because I love Jay."

"Oh," Jasper snorted, shaking his head. When a smirk pulled his lips and he simply turned away, making his way to his car, Kane couldn't help but call out his name.

"What was that about?"

He shrugged his shoulders. "Nothing."

"That's not fair," Kane started making his way down the porch steps, approaching his vehicle, "just tell me."

"There's nothing for me to say," he winked.

"Then why did that make you laugh?"

"That made me laugh because," he cleared his throat after a few chuckles escaped his lips and returned his gaze to Kane, "why did you choose me if you loved Jay that much?" When he saw Kane's mouth open with no voice that left his lips, he clicked his tongue and nodded his head, "See; it's because you don't really love Jay."

"Yes I do—"

"No," Jasper pulled open his car door, "you don't. You don't really love the guy, you love that he's vulnerable and you're his...hero..."

Even though Kane shook his head, he felt as if a sudden wall in his mind was being broken from every single word that Jasper said. "You don't know anything."

"When Jay kissed you for the very first time, you pulled away. Remember?" He shrugged his shoulders, "When he started seeing Ava, you weren't jealous. No, it's because Ava became the new hero in his life and you couldn't stand that."

"What are you talking abo—"

"The whole time that I was gone, you weren't even friends with Jay and you didn't even try to be his friend, but you...you what...love him? Do you even know him?"

Kane felt as if his entire world was crashing down, a sudden realization that he had never even foreseen. "Do you know anything about Jay's family? About who he wants to become? About his siblings? Who he used to be friends with? What grade school he went to? Did you ever ask him about his age even? Or his birthday?"

His breathing stopped when Jasper hissed once again, "You don't love him, Kane. You never have and you never will. You love me," he slammed his finger against his own chest, narrowing his eyes, "and I don't care how long it takes you to realize that because I'll be long gone when you do."