Chapter 55 - Meet Me

"Ally's been there for me a lot," Kane continued, cutting a piece from his omelette. "It would hurt her if I did that."

"How does Jasper feel about you?" Tessa tilted her head, taking a sip from her coffee before slice her sausages into tiny pieces. "Does he like you back?"

"He does but he's a jock, mom. He's done some messed up things."

"I was never one to judge," Tessa shrugged her shoulders. "His sins will be repented by himself. But...it would be hard for Jay to see you guys together."

"That was who I wanted to talk about."

Instantly, Tessa's eyes widened and she pointed her fork at him. "I knew it! You like him!"

"No—why does everyone keep saying that?" He rolled his eyes, following along with his mother's chuckled before the serious air returned. "I told you Jay's girlfriend was cheating on him with me before they started dating."

"You still haven't told him?"

"I can't tell him." When Tessa narrowed her eyes, he raised his hand in defeat, "I can't ma'. She begged for me not to, she was practically sobbing in my arms. She really loves him."

Tessa shook her head, "That is not your problem. Besides, Jay is your friend, not that girl. What was her name anyway?"

"It was Ava. Mom, I can't. They weren't dating so technically it wasn't cheating—"

"Would you be upset if you were in his position?"

"Well..." he scratched the back of his neck, "I guess but—"

"He deserves to know the truth. If it's not going to be you then someone needs to tell him. Even though she loves him now, their relationship is built from dishonesty and that'll never last."

Kane no longer knew what to do. Tessa always had the best advice and he knew telling Jay was the best thing to do, but he simply couldn't. Not after seeing the way Ava's lips tremble in desperation, pleading that their kiss and their hangouts remained in the memory of each other, as a pay long forgotten.

He returned his eyes onto his food, "You're right mom." Even though he said that, he still seemed to be discouraged and Tessa knew why.

She shrugged her shoulders, "Yes, he'll be upset with you. Is it something that he'll be able to forgive with Jasper and Ava? Maybe not." She then leaned forward and stopped his fork from grabbing more food, motioning for him to look at her. Once their gazes met, she smiled, "But don't you think it's his choice to make? Give him that choice."

After the breakfast, Kane was determined to let Jay know what had happened. Tessa had been right, regardless of the mistakes he had made, it was not his decision nor Ava's to deprive him of his truth and his choice. He would be furious and upset, but at least he would know.

He never went to school that day, stayed home and contemplated when would be the best time to head over to Jay's to be honest with him and hopefully let go of the burden heavily laid on his shoulders. It had been weighing him down for days, and he could no longer protect Ava.

When Ally returned home from school, Kane was already gone and was finally in the parking lot of Jay's building, sitting in his car. Eventually, he saw Jay walk inside his building, tightly squeezing his bag on his back and the doors closed behind him. All he needed to do was rush upstairs and tell him, apologize and tell him he had his best interest in mind and wanted to prove to him how bad of a person Ava was, even if it meant ruining his own image as well.

He was intently staring at the building when he suddenly got a text. Checking his phone, the familiar number made him grumble a curse and it said, "Could you meet us at our place? Remember the hang out we had that one night."

He texted back, "Not a good idea Ava."

His phone blinged after a few seconds, "Please, only for a few minutes."

He hesitated, staring at her typed message before bringing his car back to life and veering onto the road, turning to the hill she had shown him. It was a maze to reach that place and he was unsure how he'd even memorized the path. Once he arrived, he parked the car at the side, the sun starting to fade lower and the sky began to darken into a deep purple shade. He walked through the woods, hearing the twiddling of a few birds and stepping through some mud piles before finally reaching the edge of the hill.

Ava was standing there with her phone in the air. She was wearing a hood with a few strands of her hair falling along the sides of her face. Once she saw Kane, she raised an eyebrow in his direction, approaching him.

Kane patted his sweats; they had gotten dirtied while he was walking through to reach the hill. "What do you want?"

"What do you mean what do I want?" She appeared confused, "What do you want?"

"You texted me to come here and talk."

Her eyebrows furrowed even more, and she slowly said, "No..." She glanced towards her phone, seeing Kane's text message saying, "Please, meet up with me on the hill, I have to tell you something." Nothing made sense, "You texted me Kane."

"Ava, you texted me to come here, look." He showed his phone to her, and she inhaled a sharp breath. The raw confusion in her face was enough to let him know she hadn't texted him that, "What's going on?"

"Hey guys." They heard footsteps approach them and behind a tree, a shadow began moving and soon enough, Jay emerged.

The first thing Kane noticed was how swollen his eyes were, slightly opened with puffiness all around his nose.

He had been crying.