Chapter 14 - Let's Play Tonight

"Hi! I've been wanting to have a chat with you." Kane rolled his eyes, initially ignoring her before simply eyeing the books he needed to the classes after lunch. She finally reached his locker and leaned against the one beside it, "I wasn't mad at you about the slut comment—you weren't the one that said it."

Kane inhaled a sharp breath, finally glancing towards Jamie for a few seconds before returning his sight towards his books, finally shoving a few in his backpack before closing his locker. He really did not want to have a conversation with her, but being mean to her would only be brought back to him by Ally, and he withheld his sigh, facing her.

"I don't think you're a slut," Kane said, although it wasn't that he thought she was, he didn't really care if she was or not. "Jasper shouldn't have made that comment."

"It's okay," she smiled, stepping closer to him, "but I wanted to ask if you had any plans for tonight."

To be honest, he wasn't really interested in her, but Kane was not one to miss out on a good night. He noticed her lean towards him and she placed her palm on his chest, letting her fingers linger along the fabric of his shirt.

Kane smirked, "None, what did you have in mind?"

"I was wondering...maybe you could come over and..." her voice blurred when he heard footsteps behind him, and when he glanced quickly over his shoulder, he could not stop himself from glancing a second time.

Jay walked past them, tightly squeezing his books against his chest and rapidly attempting to get away from them.

"What do you say?"

"What?" Kane turned back to Jamie who had her brows frowned.

Her lips puckered, "What do you have with that boy by the way? You seem awfully interested in him."

"Interested in him?" he snorted, "What does that mean?"

Jamie paused for a moment before forcing a smile, "Never mind, so tonight, we're on?"

"No, I just remembered I have something to do," he started walking away from her and waved a hand, "anyway, I have to go."

Jamie knew why he had bolted from her, but instead of calling out his name, she knew exactly who she was going to mention this to. As for Kane, he jogged down the hallway and followed Jay's path, attempting to figure out where he may have gone after he turned. It was lunch hour, meaning the bathroom he stayed in last time may be the best guess at this point.

He reached the bathroom, but once he opened the door, all three stalls were opened with nobody inside. He walked down the hallway and checked every classroom, not seeing him anywhere. The only option would be to head to the second floor, and he reached the staircase, rushing to the top of the stairs when he paused right when he was about to open the door.

He heard shuffling somewhere, and he headed back down the stairs. After a few seconds, he heard shuffling again, and it was then that he realized where it was coming from. He slowly glanced under the stairs, and both of them yelped, startled by one another and Jay cursed under his breath.

Kane was the last person he wanted to see.

Instantly, he closed his container and shoved it in his bag, packing all his stuff before storming to his feet. Without saying anything, he brushed past Kane and started heading up the stairs. He pulled open the door to the second floor, he felt a hand help him keep the door open and when he glanced behind him, he realized Kane had followed him.

Jay attempted to walk faster, but Kane barely had to extend his strides to keep up with him, his hands on the back of his head. It took only a minute until Jay was fed up, completely rotated on his heels and glared at Kane. Accidentally, Kane was in the middle of a step and could not stop in time, bumping into Jay who lost his balance and was seconds from falling onto the floor.

Seconds before he could land on the floor, Kane saved him, his arm wrapped around his waist and he pulled him back to his feet with a bit too much force that Jay's face slammed onto Kane's chest.

It took a few minutes because Jay realized where he was, and Kane was breathing heavy, "Are you okay?"

"Let go of me," Jay shoved himself away from him, attempting to turn away quickly to hide the pink tint on his cheeks. "Get away from me."

"Jay, I—"

"I don't want to speak to you," Jay hissed at him, his hands squeezing into fists, "leave me alone."

"Listen," Kane shouted as Jay began walking away, "I'll be playing pool tonight. You know where to find me." Jay did not respond, storming away from him as Kane added, "Let's play tonight!"