Chapter 97 - What Did You Do?

The morning was always a grumpy time for Ally and Kane, who both rolled over from their beds and headed for the bathroom, shoving and pushing each other, Kane peeing right next to Ally who cursed at him, attempting to brush her teeth in peace. While she did that, he nonchalantly stripped nude and stepped inside the shower, and she waited against the sink for him to finish.

She didn't even wait for him to leave before she took off her clothes and stepped in the shower after him, letting him brush his teeth while she showered. When their siblings strange bathroom routine was finished, Jay eyed them peculiarly before stepping inside after them, closing the door behind him for a few moments of peace.

The only person he ever lived with before was his mother; he never had any siblings but seeing the way Ally and Kane bickered but seemed awfully comfortable around each other, being at each other's throats but caring for one another at the same time, it did make him envy what they had. Of course he was friends with Kane and lived with them but it wasn't the same, being a guest rather than family. When he left the bathroom, he noticed that the atmosphere had changed.

The cackles had ceased, the footsteps were heavy and Kane voice was low and sharp. It seemed as if he was talking about something in the kitchen with Ally, and Ally was enraged as well, hissing back. It was only when Jay reached the kitchen with a small towel in his hand, still drying the corners of his wet strands, that he noticed the way Ally's eyes were glinting from the tears that had been there seconds prior.

When Jay walked in, they both glanced elsewhere and the silence returned, causing Jay to only furrow his brows as they were clearly hiding something from him. Although he didn't want to ask, he was afraid that it was something with Jasper's father or even Mike, and cleared his throat.

"What's going on?"

Both of them flinched as his voice even though they knew he had been there. They seemed on edge, Kane ready to pounce on anyone that irritated him and Ally barely able to contain the curses stuck to her throat. Neither of them turned back to face him, practically ignoring him for a second before he heard Kane sigh and say, "Nothing, Jay. Are you hungry?" His tone was terribly dry, and he tilted his head, eyeing Ally who drank from a coffee she had just made, avoiding his gaze. "I can make you a bowl of cereal."

"You both are scaring me," Jay breathed shakily, noticing that they both rapidly turned to him and noticed that his shoulders were trembling as well. "Does it have anything to do with—"

"No," Kane said calmly, forcing a smile and stepping towards him. He had never meant to scare Jay and hadn't realized that was the effect that could happen if he didn't talk about it with him. "No, no, it has nothing to do with your situation."

"Then what is it?"

Kane glanced towards Ally before returning his eyes on Jay. "Nothing, it's really nothing."

Jay shook his head. "It's not nothing," he also turned to Ally and noticed that she was avoiding his gaze again, as if she knew if she did look at him, she would burst into flames. "Why are you guys mad at me? What did I do?"

"We're not mad at you Jay," Kane forced a chuckle and smiled. "Why would you think that? You didn't do anything."

"Then what are you guys hiding from me? Am I being kicked out?" The worry caused his voice to tremble, glancing between the two of them.

Ally was the one who spoke this time. "No, you're not."

Jay's hands clenched, attempting to his the fact that his fingers started to quiver as well. "Are Mike and Tessa getting a divorce because of me?"

"What?" Kane furrowed his brows, rapidly shaking his head. "Jay, no. Stop worrying so much, it has nothing to—"

"Then just tell me what's going on."