Chapter One Hundred and Twenty Eight [Rewritten]

Start from the beginning

"Well, Sanji certainly is an amazing cook" I grinned, agreeing with the captain's compliment.

"Thank you, Skylar my dear! Your words mean so much!" Sanji swooned upon hearing my praise, causing me to chuckle.

"Tomorrow, we get the gold" Chopper smiled to himself as he helped Nami in gathering up the dishes so that they could be cleaned and properly put away.

"You got it" Nami nodded.

"You think it'll be sunny again?" Luffy asked as he looked up toward the sky.

"Hopefully" I smiled. "It'd be nice to have good weather for tomorrow—it'd certainly be a good sign about how things might go over" I said.

"Well, we're above the clouds, so I guess yes?" Usopp questioned, not really sounding too sure of himself.

"Let's put out the fires if we don't need them" Robin suggested, ready for us to douse the campfire for tonight and head to bed. "It's beginning to get late, you guys, we don't want to announce our location away to our enemies."

"What a rookie move!" Luffy suddenly laughed. "You hear that, Usopp? She wants us to douse the fire—what are we going to do?" he shook his head.

"I don't know—it's not really her fault though, she's never been exposed to this kind of living before" Usopp shrugged. "We should be tolerant" he told the captain, wearing a lax grin as they both spoke about the woman as if she was a child that had just asked an absurd question.

"What are you two saying?" Robin asked, clearly confused by their behavior.

"You're always supposed to have a campfire when you camp, that's what makes it camping!" Luffy cried, bagging his fist against the ground as he and the sharpshooter devolved into snifflingly messes as if it just broke their hearts to see the woman not understand something so simple.

"Aren't you being a bit too overdramatic?" I sweat dropped.

"It's never-ending for those idiots" Nami rolled her eyes. "Hey, lay off the sob stories" she lightly scolded the two, not really in the mood to be dealing with their overdramatic antics. "You know how dangerous this island can be, let's not give it any help in killing us."

"Don't care" the captain deadpanned.

"We're in the middle of a war between Priests protecting their God and Guerrillas forging a coup! Not to mention the giant bloodthirsty monsters waiting around every corner to eat us!" Nami snapped.

"No! Monsters?!" Chopper fearfully cried.

"Scary island scary" Usopp whimpered at the reminder of potential monsters prowling about.

"Luffy, look, is this enough wood for your fire?" Zoro grinned as he and Sanji presented a large stack of firewood to our captain.

"Don't encourage him!" I frowned.

"Can you idiots think for one second?!" Nami snapped.

"Don't worry, wild animals are afraid of fire" Sanji assured with a dismissive wave.

"What? No, they're not" I raised an eyebrow. "Sure, some tend to avoid fire, but a large majority find themselves attracted to it—especially bugs and large predators" I explained with a frown.

"They'll stay away" Sanji reaffirmed as if that would help reassure us that he was right and nothing was going to go wrong. Holding up the torch in his hands as if to prove his point, the light from the flames illuminated the sight of golden eyes that pierced through the darkness of the surrounding forest.

"Yeah, you're totally right" I deadpanned at the sight.

"But they're surrounding us! We have to run away or we'll die!" Nami cried out as Usopp and Chopper started to scream the second one of the predators stepped forward into the light and revealed itself to be nothing more than a wolf that had a very long scar running across one of its eyes.

"Chopper, I think it's trying to talk—you mind translating?" Sanji asked once he heard the wolf beginning to snarl right at us

"You jerks are being so loud we can't even hunt, why don't you dumbass humans go to hell and sleep already?" Chopper translated for the wolf.

"Who's a dumbass?" Sanji and Luffy glowered down at the reindeer as if he was the one that had insulted him.

"I didn't say it! It was the wolf!" the doctor squealed.

"Quit that! You know just as well as I do he's just doing his job in translating" I scolded the two.

"You rotten two-leggers better not be trying to muscle in and take what doesn't belong to you!" the wolf growled.

"No, we're not like that! We were brought here against our will" Chopper argued, quick in trying to soothe the animal's rage by assuring him that we weren't here of our own free will nor were we wanting to cause any trouble.

"This is our forest, you think you can come in here and start building fires?!" the wolf barked.

"Sorry..." Chopper apologetically mumbled.

"Everything here belongs to us! The land, the trees, and the air!" the wolf continued to rant.

"It's like he's having a conversation with himself..." I muttered, placing a hand on my cheek as I looked between the two animals. Quietly listening to the conversation being made between them despite the fact that Chopper was the only one really speaking actual sentences—saying his piece while also translating everything the wolf said so we could understand what was happening.

"Nothing's keeping me from that treasure!" Nami angrily snapped, frustrated upon hearing the wolf claim that he and his pack owned everything on this island.

"Nami!" I scolded the second she knocked the wolf out, angrily punching the canine and sending him flying.

"Great, everything's gotten worse again!" Usopp cried as the rest of the pack started to advance toward us, all of them clearly angry with the navigator for attacking their pack leader. "Now what?!" the sharpshooter whimpered. "We get eaten by wolves? Didn't see that coming!"

"Do something!" Nami frantically demanded, her fear now taking hold of her and washing out all of her anger from earlier.

"What can I do?" Usopp yelled.

"I don't know, sacrifice yourself so the rest of us can get away?" I shrugged, grinning as I turned my head and avoided all eye contact with the now sobbing sharpshooter as he grabbed hold of my shirt and started to shake me. Angrily babbling out a nonsensical argument that I couldn't quite understand over all his crying. "It's just a joke, not like I was actually being serious..." I muttered, making his babbling even worse.

"Back down boys, we may have the numbers, but they have the raw power" the scarred-up wolf suddenly growled, causing the rest of the pack to halt in their advances. "Girl, you pack one mean punch there—got to say, you're my kind of angry" he wolfishly grinned.

"Did...did we just get saved because of Nami's irrational violence?" I blinked, not really understanding how we went from nearly being torn to shreds by a pack of wolves to Nami getting praised by the pack's leader all because she irrationally punched him.

"So that's what a happy ending looks like" Usopp hummed.

"I guess so" Zoro shrugged.

"Then I have an idea" Luffy suddenly grinned. "Campfire!" he loudly cheered.