Chapter One [Rewritten]

-Chapter One-

Sucking in a sharp breath of air, I released it all in one big tired sigh as I laid there sprawled over the lowest hanging branch of the tree I had recently climbed in some attempt to hide myself away so that I could be left alone. My back painfully shifting around occasionally in some desperate attempt to get comfortable despite how rough and uneven the bark felt beneath me as I boredly peered through the leaves of the tree and up at the cloudless sky.

"How can people even bother taking naps up here? This is uncomfortable..." I grumbled when I realized that the concept of getting comfortable was nonexistent the longer I began to shift myself around. "Why is it so boring today?" I groaned, my head tilted back and arms dangling from either side of me as I continued to listen to the peaceful silence of today—normally something was always happening on the island...mainly something bad, but that was beside the point. "Maybe I should just head back to the restaurant..." I snorted at the idea, what was the point of even hiding this far out from the village if I was just going to go back there? Shifting around once more, I soon sat up and carefully lowered myself from the branch until my feet touched the ground.

Placing my hands on my hips, I peered around me—head twisting left and right as I looked from the trail that would lead me back towards the village to the surrounding woodlands. There were other trails, many that were covered in overgrowth due to the lack of use as not many people from the village liked to wander this far out. I don't know why, with how peaceful and lovely nature could be, I saw no reason to heavily avoid it just because of the risks one takes in getting lost or encountering any of the not so friendly animals of the forest.

"Hm...which way? Which way?" I softly hummed as I continued to look around before finally opting to take a certain trail that looked to be a mixture of well used, but at the same time, not used enough for too big of an imprint to be left behind. At the very end of the small trail was a hill that lead up to the very edge of a cliffside—one that gave such a beautiful view of the shoreline and wide open sea...it was my favorite spot to come to whenever I felt the need to just sit and stare. There was something oddly calming about the sight of the waves—something calming about how there were days that they'd gently lap against the sandy shores and days were they'd violent crash down and desperately attempt to swallow whole whatever had the misfortune of being in its way. Plopping down onto the ground, I softly sighed as I watched the calming waves of today as if the sea herself was peacefully content with how quiet today was.

'Wonder what it would be like to go on an adventure' I hummed in contentment at the blissful thought the longer I stared out towards the sea. Despite how dangerous she could be—how cruel she could be towards those that were inexperienced or who recklessly set out to sea without any real direction—she was also merciful at times. Her mercy being what lead my brothers and me here about four years ago...a sort of mercy that I still didn't know if I should be thankful for or not. Heaving another sigh, I found myself falling back onto my back as I reached a hand up and pressed it against my face as if attempting to rub away how tired I truly felt at the moment. Just barely did the tips of my fingers brush against the bandana that was wrapped tightly around my head in some desperate attempt to contain my hair and make it almost appear shorter than it really was—make it appear more boyish than what it really was.

God how I hated this thing, it made hot days unbearable and it made my head itch every time stray strands of hair would sneak their way out from underneath and lightly brush against the flesh of my face. I know I could easily solve the problem by just simply cutting away all the hair...but I'd rather suffer than have to do what that idiotic asshole wanted. It's bad enough I have to wear the restrictive binder that painfully pressed my breasts down in a vague attempt at making me appear flat-chested.