Chapter 22

It was lunchtime, the second Willow stepped foot outside the lecture hall she found her so-called partner waiting for her arrival looking oh so fancy.

Willow decided to ignore his existence, after all, he can be waiting for someone else so why the embarrassment?

"Where are you going, Willow?" Asked an annoyed Ryker as he strode after her.

"To grab lunch." She shrugged

"We'll eat together today. I was waiting for you." He smiled encouragingly.

"Okay." She whispered still reading his facial grimaces for any danger.

Getting in the car he asked, "So how was the lecture?"

"Nothing fun, but I missed attending classes so I kind of enjoyed it."

"I see." He smiled looking ahead of him.

"How was yours?" She asked now looking at him instead of around the roads.

"Mine was typical, nothing exciting and nothing fun as you said." He informed smiling at her efforts, she was kind and he knew if it wasn't for such circumstances he would've earned her trust, and maybe even love, why not?

"Did Josephine say anything about you driving me?" She asked in curiosity, Willow didn't like their friendship one bit but she decided against talking about it.

"Nothing much, she tried to but I stopped her right away." He looked her way before focusing on parking the car.

Ryker put his hand on her lower back the second she stepped foot outside his car, and to his disbelief, she didn't say anything about it.

"This looks like one hell of an expensive restaurant Ryker." She mumbled looking around her in pure amazement, the décor looked so sophisticated and the atmosphere was nothing less than luxurious.

"Yes, and the food is so delicious." He smiled looking down into her eyes.

Helping her sit on her chair, Ryker proceeded to take his place across the beautiful lady.

"I figured you didn't go to dates since you never dated so I decided to take you on one, wife." He smiled drinking her bewilderment.

"How'd you know?" asked a shocked yet touched girl.

"Last time when you said it was your first kiss was a hint, then I asked Dina about your favourite places for a date she said you have never dated so she doesn't know." He vocalized in all honesty.

Willow looked down to her fingers under the table; she didn't know what to do or how to behave in such situations. The pain in the arse Ryker was so much easier to deal with than the gentle and caring one.

Ryker didn't believe that the girl in front of him could blush a deep red until he saw it for himself. She was indeed innocent but her fire could burn both of them if she wanted to.

"Order whatever you want." He nodded as the waitress gave both of them a menu.

Willow looked through the menu shocked at how expensive the meals are, her eyes found his amused ones as he sat there reading her expressions; Ryker already knew what to order.

"So?" He asked.

Gulping, Willow looked at the waiting waitress then at her date.

"This shit is expensive." She stated nonchalantly.

"You are not paying Willow, order whatever you want." He smiled at her choice of words.

"No! I mean even though you are paying, it's still money."

"Order already Willow."

"Are you sure?" Asked a sceptical girl.

Ryker nodded in utter amusement at the girl sitting in front of him, he still couldn't believe they live in the same house.

"Then I want the Lobster." She gulped her saliva showing how hungry she is.

Ryker laughed at how funny she could be, one moment she was panicking about the prices and the next she orders one of the most expensive dishes.

"Why are you laughing?"

"Nothing! You are adorable." He locked eyes with her.

"Thank you." She blushed again looking everywhere but at him. The secret was that Willow sucked with receiving compliments as she didn't know how to respond to them.

Waiting for their meal, the couple started talking about random topics trying to know a little more about each other, until Willow asked a sensitive question for what she could tell from his reaction to it.

"The dean told me that you hate Silvia. Not that she's lovable but did she do anything to you?" Asked a curious female.

"Well!" He spoke his demeanour turning ice cold in a second, the quick shift scared Willow a great deal.

"Silvia came a day after I lost my mother if you think about it; means her and my father had a relationship for quite a long time before that."

"What happened to your mother if I may ask?" She whispered feeling as if she was walking on thin ice.

"She committed suicide." Said Ryker without blinking as his eyes turnedred at the memory

Willow's hands found her mouth in a second, she was shocked and pain clawed her heart.

"I'm sorry. I'm really sorry, I shouldn't have asked." Whispered a sad Willow.

"It's not your fault. It's my father's; he kept cheating on her because he didn't love her. She was imposed on him by my grandfather when he knew he loved a woman, said not matching our social position."

Willow felt her throat tighten as she fought against the tears that threatened to fall. "I guess you and your father are living the same fate." She whispered trying not to sound on the verge of crying.

Ryker emitted a humourless laugh as he looked at his wife in what looked like pity.

"At least I didn't love anyone."

The waitress served them their dishes and retreated in a hurry as the atmosphere around the VIP room they were sitting inside was bitter.

"Your mother was innocent, it wasn't her fault.' Spoke a now broken Willow.

"So are you Willow, so are you." He looked into her eyes reading hersoul as if it was an open book.