A Merchant's Tale

There was a tense pause as the rest of them leapt up as well, Dance merely unfolding his arms with his eyelights flaring dangerously.
"It is Roran, isn't it?" Jeod spoke softly, not at all afraid of their display.
"How did you guess?" Hissed the other.

"Because Brom brought Eragon here, and you look like your cousin. When I saw your poster with Eragon's, I realized that the Empire tried to capture you and that you escaped. Although, in all my imaginings, I never suspected that you took the rest of Carvahall with you, as well as meeting and becoming allies with a skeleton."

Roran fell back into his chair. "Eragon was here?"
"Aye. And Saphira, too."
"Saphira?"
Once more did Jeod seem surprised. "You don't know, then?"
"Know what?"
The merchant peered at him for a while.

"I think the time has come to drop our pretenses, Roran Garrowsson, and talk openly and without deception. I can answer many of the questions you must have- such as why the Empire is pursuing you- but in return, I need to know the reason you came to Teirm... the real reason."
"And why should we trust you?" Dance demanded.
"You could be working for Galbatorix, you could." Loring added, nodding to the skeleton.

"I was Brom's friend for over twenty years, before he was a storyteller in Carvahall, and I did my best to help him and Eragon when they were under my roof. But since neither are here to vouch for me, I place my life in your hands, to do with as you wish. I could shout for help, but I won't. Nor will I fight you. All I ask is that you tell me your story and hear my own. Then you can decide for yourself what course of action is proper. You're in no immediate danger, so what harm is there in talking?"

Birgit flicked her chin for Roran's attention. "He could be trying to save his hide."
"Maybe. But we have to find out whatever it is he knows." Roran stood and started dragging his chair towards the door. Dance instead took it with blue magic and pressed it against the door. Roran nodded at him and sat down, this barring the entrance and addressing Jeod. "All right. You want to talk? Then let us talk, you and I."
"It would be best if you go first."
"If I do, and we're not satisfied by your answers afterward, we'll have to kill you."
The merchant crossed his arms. "So be it."
Roran blinked. "So be it."

And thus did Roran begin telling his tale, beginning with the arrival of the soldiers to the ambush in which he rescued Alter, to Dance's arrival and Sloan's betrayal, Dance's attempt to fight the Ra'zac's mounts singlehandedly and Alter's feat of saving his life, then his convincing of the villagers to flee and the miseries of the journey to Teirm, meeting Beats and Kin on the way. He ended his story with a harsh stare.

"By the Lost Kings!" Jeod gasped. "That's the most extraordinary tale. Extraordinary! To think you've managed to thwart Galbatorix and that right now the entire village of Carvahall is hiding outside one of the Empire's largest cities and the king doesn't even know it...." He shook his head, grinning in amazement.
"Aye, that's our position." Loring snapped. "And it's precarious at best, so you'd better explain well and good why we should risk letting you live."
"It places me in as much-"

The door rattled, someone trying to get in, which was precedent to pounding. A female voice called out furiously. "Jeod! Let me in, Jeod! You can't hide in that cave of yours."
"May I?" He whispered.

Roran snapped his fingers and Nolfavrell tossed him his knife, which he caught and darted around the table to press its flat to the merchant's throat. "Make her leave."
Jeod called out. "I can't talk now; I'm in the middle of a meeting."

"Liar! You don't have any business. You're bankrupt! Come out and face me, you coward! Are you a man or not that you won't even look your wife in the eye?" She paused, awaiting a reply. Then she shrieked. "Coward! You're a gutless rat, a filthy, yellow-bellied sheep-biter without the common sense to run a meat stall, much less a shipping company. My father would have never lost so much money!"
"Be still, woman!" Jeod barked, and she fell silent.
"Our fortunes might be about to change for the better if you but have the sense to restrain your tongue and not rail on like a fishmonger's wife."