Riders

Nightmare woke first, blearily opening his eyesockets as a dull ache pressed against the inside of his skull. He mentally cursed himself for his decision to get drunk last night.
At least I didn't get overly inebriated. He thought, remembering the day before.
His tentacles felt stiff.

He looked up and saw why.
Vines wrapped around each of them, draping from some of the ends like strands of willow, swaying faintly with the movement. Leaves sprouted along their length, giving it the appearance of a strange breed of tree. He sighed, a little annoyed with the constant references to trees with himself and Dream.

He got up slowly, ignoring the weight of his brother hanging off of him. He clenched his tendrils as he stretched, awakening the one clinging to his backside.
"Uh..b.. Brother?" "Yes, Dream?" He asked, not bothering to look over his shoulder as he curled the base of his lower tentacles under Dream's legs to better support the sleepy one as he felt the vines flutter.
"I'm sorry.."
"For what? The vines? I don't really care. You can move when you're ready." He stopped talking, sensing a familiar presence approaching. He tensed, the action causing the vines to slip, making his tentacles feel strange. He glanced up, seeing that they had somehow absorbed into the tendrils, leaves the only things sticking out. They now emerged from the ends of his tentacles.
"Wonderful.." He sighed, exasperated.
"That happened." Dream commented with wide sockets.

The door opened.
"Oh. Reaper." Nightmare stated bluntly.
The God of Death stared.
"Holy crap, are you two turning into a tree."
"No." Nightmare responded flatly.
"You look like a tree."
"Reaper, you're upsetting Nightmare." Dream whined, tightening his grip on his brother.
"Okay, okay buttercup. But can you like.. separate? Islanzadí is planning something and I'm pretty sure we should be there."
"Sure." Dream tried to peel off of Nightmare, but was stuck. "Um."
"Wonderful." Nightmare said for the second time that morning. He sat down, waving his tendrils around as he watched the vines coming out of the tips sway. Reaper sat down next to them, careful not to touch anything alive.
"How about I help peel some of it off, maybe the rest will come off on it's own?"
"Can you safely touch his vines?" Nightmare asked.
"He can, they're immune. Are you?" Dream responded.
"He is. Found out a while ago." Reaper explained.
"Well then." Nightmare started.
"Looks like we need your help." Dream finished nervously.
"Heh." Reaper snorted, tapping one vine experimentally. "Let's see what I can do."

...

Blue woke up before the others, sitting up and stretching. He peered over to see GB had kicked the blanket off his legs, the shorts hanging off his left clawed foot as both feet and tail hung over the floor. He sighed, grinning as he slid off the mattress and arranged the bedding properly, ignoring his friend out of respect for his modesty. Then he looked out the window, smiling at the glittering forest full of dew.

Then Blueberry skipped to the main room, finding four trays of food consisting of mostly fruit- something he appreciated when he disliked killing for food. He didn't like ending the innocent animals' lives just to eat, when there were kinder options. He could ignore when he received food, reminding himself it was already dead and to not eat it would be a waste. That, and some out there were carnivorous and could not sustain themselves on plants alone.

He had some blueberries, grinning at the small joke as he read the note and glanced at the clothes.

Greetings, Saphira Bjartskular, Istalrfreohr Evarína-augar, Eragon Shadeslayer and Eldgath Andlátkyn.
I, Bellaen of House Miolandra, do humble myself and apologize to you, Saphira and Istalrfreohr, for these unsatisfactory meals. Elves do not hunt, and no meat is to be had in Ellesméra, nor in any of our cities. If you wish, you can do as the dragons of old were wont, and catch what you may in Du Weldenvarden. We only ask that you leave your kills in the forest so our air and water remain untainted by blood.
Eldgath, Eragon, these clothes are for you. They were woven by Niduen of Islanzadí's house and are her gift to you.