Heal

Alter roused from his vigil, peering at the sleeping Dance wearily. He had exhausted himself to the point where he drifted in and out of consciousness, praying his friend would still be there when he woke and not a pile of dust.

Dance was still there.

Even better, he was awake.
"How are you feeling?" Alter murmured.  The other stared at him with wide sockets.
"You.. saved my life." He breathed, a wheeze hitching in his breath.
"I've endured enough death, I couldn't handle my friend dying too, not when you're the only other familiar face here." He coughed after that, leaning forward in his chair to press his feverish skull to the blankets. A hand rested on it.
"How am I supposed to thank you?"
"You don't need to; I did what was only right."
"Have you eaten?"
"I was waiting for you to wake."
"Alter, how long has it been since you last ate?"
He groaned, staring at the closed door. "I don't know.. two days? Certainly not that long."
"You just said two days. I was about to die. How magic did you use on me? Don't kill yourself saving my lazy ass!" Dance broke into a wheezing cough after the brief moment of emotion.

Alter reach for him only to be waved off. "I'm fine. I'm fine. Agh, my skull…. Go eat something, ya dummy." He flapped one hand at Alter while pressing his other to his face. "Dance, I need to make sure you'll be okay."
"I'm fine! I'm not dying; I don't know how you did that, but I'm fine. Now I hafta make sure you take care of yourself.. numbskull."
Alter snorted, pulling a slice of pie from his inventory. "You're the numbskull; you were at death's door and haven't eaten." Dance sighed, glancing over.

He pushed himself upright, bones creaking. "Don't move-!" Alter chatsized. Dance shook his skull. "I can sit up. I can't believe you, Alter. I don't feel half bad compared to that. I thought I was gonna die, now I'm just.. achy."
"Fine. But eat. It'll help."
Dance glared up at him critically. "Only if you eat, too." Alter hesitated, then brought out another slice. "If it'll get you to eat, then I will."

They ate in silence, comfortable silence, at least.
Gertrude came bustling in the room, gasping to see Dance awake. "I expected you to sleep for at least a week!" She carried bandages over one arm. Dance shrugged, shoveling food in his mouth. "I'm surprised, too. Thought I was a goner." He smiled at Alter incredulously. "I never knew how good a healer you were." Alter coughed as Gertrude put a hand to her hip. "He wasn't alone. I forced him to go easy with that magic on the less lethal wounds. I understand he's weakened himself. Who do you think watched over him?" She asked while strutting over. Dance grinned gratefully. "Thank you for that. He's a bit too selfless sometimes."

"There is no such thing." Alter argued softly, taking the plates with tired arms. "Let me change your bandages." Gertrude ordered. Dance flushed, looking down to see he was shirtless, white linens wrapping most of his ribs tightly. "Are you sure you're exactly qualified t-to do that?" He stuttered.
"She's been changing your bandages the past two days." Alter explained, leaning back in his chair.
"I have. Alter explained that your ribs are.. important? They must be sealed."
Dance flushed harder, the bluish violet setting a glow across the sheets. "It's true.. they're how we breathe. Like.. how you breathe through lungs; we sort of have hollow bones with pockets." He huffed awkwardly, letting her approach.

She spoke while unwrapping him. "I won't question how that works; I doubt I could understand. But you are healing very quickly. Do you think you could be ready to travel by tomorrow; or is that too much?" Dance blinked. "Why do you ask?" She glanced at the door.
"Roran has.. excited the village. We are going to cross the Spine to the seaside port Narda, and take a ship to Surda, where we can oppose Galbatorix. You should have heard his speech, both of you. It was.. inspiring, for lack of a better word."

"Wow. I never thought you'd leave.." He trailed, running short on breath as she finished removing the first rag. "How bad is it, still?" He wheezed, leaning back on the headboard. Gertrude adopted a gentle tone. "Much better than yesterday. It really is remarkable, magic. So long as it is good." Dance chuckled weakly. "Do you think we're good? Because we are magic." She smiled, rubbing a stain off his face. "Yes, I think so. Enough that I was going to stay behind if you were unable to go in time."
He shook his skull. "I don't care how, I'm coming."