Rest in Peace, Shur'tugal

Half of the Bad Sanses were jolted awake by an unexpected roar, which seemed to wake Eragon as well.

Error was already up, as he didn't sleep. He was holding the elderly man named Brom in place as he convulsed on the floor.

Blueberry rushed up and held his hand to the human's forehead before Eragon could. "Oh, he's hot. He's very hot." He muttered worriedly.

Eragon ordered Murtaugh to get water and cloth as Blue tried sending healing magic into the old man.

Error shared a look with Cross and Nightmare. They knew the human was going to die. They couldn't heal poison. Whenever one of their teammates got poisoned, they were taken to Doc Sans.

That was in an entirely different Multiverse. Brom was going to die. The human suddenly woke, staring at Eragon.

"You! Bring me the wineskin!"
"Brom? You shouldn't drink wine; it'll only make you worse."
"Bring it, boy- just bring it..."
"I'll be right back-" "Here." Dust already found it, smelling the alcohol inside.

Eragon took it and kneeled in front of his teacher.
"I have the wine."
"Good..." He weakly lifted one of his arms. "Now... wash my right hand with it."
"What-" "No questions! I haven't time."

Confused, the boy complied, rubbing the old man's hand vigorously.
"More."

The others moved away, leaving the two alone while listening, only Nightmare and Blue remaining, one standing there while the other kept sending his green healing magic into the human frantically.

A brown dye started washing off his palm. Eragon started scrubbing harder, then froze when he saw a shimmering mark much like his own.

Given what he explained about that mark, it meant he was a Rider. Blue glanced at Nightmare for confirmation, who only widened his socket.

"You're a Rider?" Eragon breathed.
"Once upon a time that was true...but no more. When I was young... younger than you are now, I was chosen...chosen by the Riders to join their ranks. While they trained me, I became friends with another apprentice... Morzan, before he was a Forsworn."
Eragon gasped at this. Didn't he say that was over a few hundred years ago? How old was this Human?

"But then he betrayed us to Galbatorix... and in the fighting at Dorú Areaba - Vroengard's city - my young dragon was killed. Her name...was Saphira."
"Why didn't you tell me before?" Eragon whispered.
"Because...there was no need to." Brom told him as he struggled to breathe, clenching his fists. Blue was shaking his skull, holding back tears.

"I am old, Eragon... so old. Though my dragon was killed, my life has been longer than most. You don't know what it is to reach my age, look back, and realize that you don't remember much of it; then to look ahead and know that many years still lie ahead of you... After all this time I still grieve for my Saphira... and hate Galbatorix for what he tore from me." He leaned forward for a moment, eyes bulging as he insisted feverishly.
"Don't let that happen to you. Don't! Guard Saphira with your life, for without her it's hardly worth living."
"You shouldn't talk like this. Nothing's going to happen to her." Eragon's voice cracked.

He turned his head to the side. "Perhaps I am rambling." He blindly passed his gaze over the others near the entrance of the cave and Nightmare before refocusing on Eragon.
"Eragon! I cannot last much longer. This... this is a grievous wound; it saps my strength. I have not the energy to fight it..." "But I healed it, Human. I healed you..."
"Before I go, will you take my blessing?"

Blue started crying for real at that, Eragon close behind.
"Everything's will be all right. You don't have to do this."
"It is the way of things... I must. Will you take my blessing?"
Eragon dipped his head, tears flowing. The older one weakly reached up and gripped his brow.
"Then I give it to you. May the coming years bring you great happiness." Then weakly motioned he draw nearer. Eragon complied.