Cross and XChara

Cross loved and hated his new blades.
They were admittedly awesome. He could throw them and they'd whip back around and return, hilt first. He could wear them in an X over his clothes.
But they weren't his knife.
Nothing could match his knife.
War. Sacrifices are needed for war. He would remind himself.
It was true.

But damnit if he hadn't made enough sacrifices already.
The duality of Haina and Harmr fit him and XChara eerily well.
If they got absorbed in practicing with them, they would have to stop. XChara would slip in control. Two minds can't control one body at once.
Can they?

The question came up when they returned to the practice field the morning after… Sinead came.
They'd slipped into it again, causing XChara to slam Harmr into the soil furiously as Cross dropped Haina from his other hand. Falling to his kneecaps, at a loss for what to do.
Cross was sitting, XChara invisibly beside him when the human spotted new arrivals.

He felt a smile tug at him. He hadn't seen Blue and Eragon in a while. Saphira and GB sat at the edge of the clearing, though GB looked notably… disquieted? Tense for sure. Blue was staying near him. The dark haired elf faced Eragon with his sword, and Cross stood up.
"Little unfair to do that, innit?" He asked quietly. XChara hovered, arms dangling. "He's slow and injured of all things."
They observed the ensuing match, Cross glaring as the elf beat Eragon, unfairly.

"Dead." He stated, pointing his blade at Eragon's chin. The human moved back, grabbing Zar'roc.
"Dead. How do you expect to defeat Galbatorix like this? I expected better, even from a weakling human."
"Then why don't you fight Galbatorix yourself instead of hiding in Du Weldenvarden?" Eragon retorted irritably.
"Because I'm not a Rider. And if I were, I would not be such a coward as you."
The whole field stared at them mutely.

"Coward, I say. Your blood is as thin as the rest of your race's. I think that Saphira was confused by Galbatorix's wiles and made the wrong choice of Rider."
Gasps, Cross saw Eragon's temple pulse before the human spun around angrily.
So violent was his outburst, the Rider pushed the elf to the center of the field before a seizure gripped him. Cross leaned forward, worried. Blue was already at Eragon's side, holding him while gazing at the elf.

Blue helped Eragon to his feet, then was pushed off; the human wiped his mouth and revealed a bloody hand. "Thin enough?" The elf sheathed his sword and walked off.
"Where are you going? We have unfinished business, you and I."
"You are in no fit condition to spar."
"Try me."
"Eragon-" "No, I demand we finish." He interrupted Blue, who awkwardly backed away. "I won't stand in the way of Determination." The skeleton muttered.
Eragon went at it again with the elf.

"Give me control, Cross." XChara murmured. He stared at him incredulously. "Why?"
XChara didn't look away from the duel.
"This bastard thinks he can judge the human race entirely off of one; one that's injured. I'm not of his world, but human is human. Let him see the real scope of Determination."

Cross slowly looked back at Eragon and the elf, then peered once more at XChara.
"You won't stay in control, will you?" The human regarded him with a note of irritation. "It's been years since the X-Event, Cross. When's the last time I wanted anything more than just existing for a little while at a time?"
He stared at the ground. "You know I hate it."
"Get used to it, boney boy."
"Shaddup."
"Lol."
"Did you just say lol?"
"Yep. Whaddaya say, Cross?"
"I-" He hesitated.

"Yeah. Sure. Just.. be careful." He sighed, XChara grinning as he dove into him.
He used the last of his control to teleport out of sight while magic congealed around them.

XChara suddenly gagged, dry-heaving against a tree as he stumbled. "Shit, I forgot what alive feels like."
"Fuck, I forgot what dead feels like." Cross fired back, struggling to control his midair spin. XChara wiped his mouth and smirked at the now ghostly skeleton.
"Oh no, what are you planning."