27. Christmas Day

Natalie

         The Christmas lights hung around my room, setting the atmosphere

         The Christmas lights hung around my room, setting the atmosphere. I sat up, seeing a little specs of snow surprisingly in my yard.  Today was the day to celebrate family and pretend to be close with people that you couldn't stand on a regular day. I didn't have to do that because it was usually Nathan, mom and I most times.

    My mom wasn't close to her family due to dealing with my sorry ass father. The lifestyle he lived caused her to slowly drift away, it wasn't intentional but she didn't want her family included in any of that madness. Our grandparents are aware of our well being, they'll send money on holidays, a card here and there.

     I peeked my head over the banister, seeing a bunch of presents. There was a enormous, live tree nearby the fireplace. The lights were still lit from the night before and the presents had increased. Sneaking downstairs, I looked around seeing if anyone was around. Tip-toeing over the presents, I looked at the names on them, counting how many had my name specifically on them.

     "Caught you red handed" Nathan said, startling me. I jumped grabbing my chest, but quickly waved him off. "I thought you were someone important"

He joined me, searching for his name in the bold black letters. "You lucky it was me instead of momma"

Momma was usually the type to wake up earlier to patrol us from sneaking down here. She must've had a long night with Lucas the reason that she's still slumped. Bending over, I picked up a small present, rubbing my hands over the sliver and red wrapping paper. Shaking the gift in my hand, I smiled hearing something rock back and forth.

     "You gone be looking real shitty if it's a piece of coal rolling around." Rolling my eyes, I smacked the back of his head in annoyance. "Santa don't like ugly"

  Ignoring him, I sat the present back down, walking towards the kitchen. I fixed a big bowl of Cinnamon Toast Crunch, adding a little bit of milk inside. Smiling at the wonderful creation, I wasted no time getting a big size spoon, scooping up a handful. "You inviting your friends over this year"

    Nathan nodded, clapping his hands together. "You already know it's the litty committee when we get together. You dig what I'm puttin' on the table"

     Shaking my head. "Nah, I'm still trynna find the shovel" I laughed as he waved me off. "So you don't know the tea on Brent, right now"

     My brother squinted his eyes in confusion. That alone let me know that no one had a clue of what's happening behind the scenes. The real question is, would he have told me? It's been a week since the ball and he has barely called my phone. I didn't wanna bring up the situation but it's so many questions that are left unanswered. "Brent got Laura pregnant"

      He spit out the cranberry juice, he originally planned on swallowing. Sitting back against the counter, he crossed his arms in complete shock. The same expression was the one that was in my face, once upon a time. "That's some shit, he told you"