I ( REALLY ) Messed Up

NOAH'S POV

The rest of our trip was pretty tense, Elle and I tried to get on for the sake of the girls. We banned any conversation that mentioned my news. I was devastated that Elle took it the way she did. Neither of us were used to fighting like this, we had a few arguments before but one of us always caved into apologising. Not this time though, Elle wasn't budging.

I hate my job, I'm fed up sitting on my ass in meeting rooms all day. All I get to do anymore is wake up, go to work and arrive home just in time to kiss Maddie goodnight before she goes to sleep, then Elle falls asleep because she's so exhausted from minding them all day. I've been so torn though, we just bought a house and we've been living the good life, on paper. At some stage, money becomes irrelevant when you only get to see your kids at the weekend.

After a extra long day at work, I pulled up outside the house. Surprisingly all the lights were still on. The door opened as I headed towards it, a dark figure standing at the door.

' Elle.. Elle? '

' It's me. '

' Lee? Shit, is everything okay? '

' I need to talk to you? '

' What, why? Are the kids okay? Is Elle-'

' Noah relax, the kids are in bed. Elle is asleep. '

' What's up? '

' Dude, you know I never want to get involved in your shit, but Elle called me over tonight. She couldn't manage the kids, by the time I got over she was in the midst of a panic attack. Noah, you know her as well as I do. She's a strong girl, but she's struggling. '

' Why would she call you and not me. '

' She's not sure if you're taking to her. She gave me the whole story today. I see both sides Noah, I really do, and I will always tell you to follow your dreams. It's just, you need to remember that Elle has dreams too. She loves you unconditionally Noah, but minding babies and waiting for you to come home every night isn't what she planned for her twenties. '

' Lee, what do you want me to say? We can't live on nothing. '

' And she understands that Noah, but theres a big difference between coming home every day from the office compared to leaving for what could be months on end for football. She could barely keep her eyes open this evening. We were gonna have a bottle of wine after she put the girls to sleep but when I went up to find her, she was asleep on the floor beside Aria's crib. '

' I didn't even notice. Truthfully, I'd thought she had lost interest in me. That's why I went back to football in the first place, to get my body back to how it used to be. '

' Did you check your phone today? '

' No, I left it in the car, I didn't get a chance to check it all day. I still haven't, why? '

' It was open day at Maddie's preschool. You were supposed to meet Elle there. '

Instantly my hands flew to my head and hit me. ' Shit, shit ,shit. '

' I'm guessing you forgot then. '

' I can't believe I did that. '

' Maddie loved it, by the way. She can't wait to start school. '

I have majorly fucked up this time. I missed bringing my little girl to school for the first time. I feel like a shit dad.

' Look Noah, I've got to go, but please just think about what I'm saying. You can sort this out. '

' Thanks Lee, I'm so glad all my girls have someone to look out for them. I just wish it was me. '

' Don't be dumb Noah, you're a good dad. Just give Elle a break, talk to her about what she wants. '

' I promise you, I will. '

I watched Lee leave and crept into the house. I walked around the ground floor, tidying up the kids mess as I walked around. Maddie was sleeping soundly when I peered into her room, as was Aria. Elle was curled up in a ball on the floor beside her crib. I had one last thing to do before I went to bed. I went downstairs and pulled out my laptop. I found a local spa and started to type in Elle's details.

When I was finished I lifted Elle and carried her back into our bed. She didn't even stir. I timed her breathing as her chest rose and fell. Her eye sockets were dark, as I stared at her, it occurred to me just how tired she was. While I was in work everyday, she was here, looking after the kids alone. We never really discussed that she would be a stay at home mom at first, it just happened. Elle had so many plans, but she seemed to just accept that she would stay home. I don't think I have ever even thanked her for it. I left an envelope on her bedside locked and turned out the lights. I had to make this better, besides I'm leaving for the tour in 2 days.

My beautiful Elle,

By the time you get this letter I will have headed out with the girls. Lakeview Day Spa is expecting you at 12. Have a wonderful day of relaxation and I'll have dinner made when you come home.

I know we have a lot to work through but I just need you to know how grateful I am for all the sacrifices you have made for the girls and I. I promise you, things will change.

All my love,

Noah X

Short but sweet, please like and comment. It'll make me write faster !