Unexpected

The next day was Sunday, which meant Sunday dinner again, Rachel was coming today which made it totally great again. Lee was so much happier to have her around again. We all missed her. She loved being around Maddie now, she found her healing, like Lee did.

' Elle she is so beautiful. '

' Thank you, I think she looks just like her dad. '

' Nope she's an Evan's baby for definite. I could just take her home with me. '

' Feel free.. I could use a full nights sleep. ' She chuckled and then thought about it.

' I'm sure Lee and I could look after her if you and Noah wanted to spend some time together. '

' Thanks Rach, I'm sure I'll take you up on that sometime. '

' I think we will definitely take you up on that. ' Noah announced and he walked into the room and threw his arms around me. ' I'm taking Elle away for a couple of days. Does tomorrow suit? You can live her for the couple of days. '

' I'd love too ! '

' Great.. that's all sorted then. ' Noah turned and winked at me, grabbed a fresh t shirt and walked out again.

When he had left I turned to look at Rachel in surprised shock.

' Oh my god Elle, where do you think he's taking you? '

' I have no idea, he hasn't mentioned it before now. '

' Ugh you are so lucky Elle. '

' Lucky enough to have laundry to do.. wanna give me a hand? '

' Sure thing girl. '

At dinner Matthew finally decided to acknowledge the elephant in the room. ' So Lee, Rachel, have you decided finally on where to go to college? '

They had both gotten accepted by Harvard but neither had made up their mind to go. Lee said it would be weird to leave me here, we had always planned to go to college together, I was trying to convince him to go though. I wasn't going to be the reason both Flynn boys missed out on an ivy league education. I think Rachel just wants to go wherever Lee goes. She really loves him. They had both also been accepted to Yale, both of them. How does that happen? There was also UC Berkeley, which is far enough away to move into their own apartment but close enough to come home for dinner on a Sunday. That was my favourite option.

' Well actually Rachel and I went to look at an apartment up in Berkeley last week.. we put a deposit down. '

' YOU DID ' I jumped up, but slowly sat back down when I realised not everyone in the room was as happy as I was.

' Well.. I can't say I'm over the moon Lee.. it would have been nice if one of my boys had taken up the offer of an Ivy league education.. '

' Dad don't you dare bring me into this.. ' Noah hissed.

' I don't want to hear it from you Noah, you didn't even last a year .. '

' I HAD A KID, WHAT DID YOU WANT ME TO DO. '

' Noah ' I took his hand and urged him to sit down. He looked down at me and I could see his face soften again. I continued to hold his hand.

' Dad, don't you think enough has happened recently.. we want to be close to home. '

' Lee you are throwing away a top class education to stay around here all your life. Nothing is going to happen because you leave. You're going to make a mess of your life just like your brother.. '

' THAT'S IT. ' Noah jumped up and slammed his fists on the table.

' MATTHEW HOW COULD YOU SAY THAT ABOUT YOUR SON. ' June yelled across the table at him.

' Noah, Noah, Noah, Noah baby please. ' I kept trying to get his attention but I knew he wasn't listening anymore. Suddenly Maddie, who had been asleep in my arms quietly for the last hour woke up with an ear piercing cry which pulled Noah out of his angry state. Again, his face softened.

' Shelly, lets go. I need to get out of here. Could we stay at your house tonight. Is that okay with you Mr Evans? ' My dad nodded silently, trying desperately not to get caught in the firing line. Noah walked up to his dad and stared him in the eyes. ' I'm sorry my life is such a mess old man, don't you worry, I'm going to get my girls and take them away from here and you won't have to deal with my 'mess' any longer... '

Noah took my hand and we went upstairs, yelling between Lee and his father continued. Noah packed up all our things like a whirlwind, he loaded everything in our two cars and put Maddie in her car seat. He kissed me head. ' I'll meet you at your house in a couple of minutes okay? Drive safely. '

I didn't dare argue.