Cashmere Sweater

Elle's POV

I woke up naturally to the sun's rays shining in the window. I was shocked that for once I hadn't been woken by Maddie's babbling until I realised she wasn't there, neither was Noah. He must have taken her downstairs. ' Wow ' I thought to myself, first lie in for months. It had been on my mind the last couple of days to meet up with Rachel. Just the two of us, she needed to talk to someone about everything. I grabbed my phone and threw her a text ' morning girl, 2pm at the pier. Just you & me. '

She replied almost instantly. ' Love to x '

I got up and went downstairs, Noah was sitting in the kitchen, Maddison in his arms, eating toast and chatting in a hushed tone to June. They both jumped when I walked in.

' Good morning ' I smiled, grabbing Maddie out of Noah's arms for a cuddle.

' Good morning beautiful, how are you? '

' I'm good, would you be able to look after her for an hour or two this afternoon while I meet Rachel. I think she needs some girl time. '

' If Noah can't I will, Rachel is excited for some girl time. ' Lee said as he walked into the kitchen, and taking a bite of an apple.

' That would be great Lee, I was going to meet the guys today. '

' Maddie wants to hang out with her cool uncle Lee ' He said in the baby voice that we had all become accustomed to using around the house.

' Thank you buddy, only for an hour or two. I've missed Rachel. '

' She misses you too. It's still hard for her, you know.. to come round here. '

' Look I totally get it, she will.. when the time is right. She will be ready to come back here again. We still haven't asked her to be godmother, do you think I should ask her today. '

' Totally. '

After breakfast I went upstairs to get dressed and for the first time in forever I did a full face of make up and wore jeans for the first time in forever. It was chilly today so I matched it with my mom's old cashmere jumper. I said goodbye to Lee and Maddie and grabbed my keys. Noah had left about 30 minutes before I did.

It was only now that I was beginning to use my car for the first time. I hadn't been able to drive for the last six weeks. I pulled up outside Rachel's house and waved at her. She had been sitting on her front step. She ran down and got in the car, throwing her arms around me.

' Hello stranger ' She smiled. We chatted about mundane things the whole way to the beach. I bought us smoothies and we went to sit on the sand. The beach was quiet since the sun hadn't really come out today, it wasn't too cold though.

' So Rachel, how are you really doing? '

' I'm all good. '

' Rachel. ' She started out to the horizon for a while, considering her answer.

' Elle, my heart is in a million pieces. I don't think it will ever be right again. Everyone looks at me like I should be over it by now, even Lee.. but I feel so broken. '

' Oh Rach.. '

' - And I know realistically it wasn't the ideal situation for us but I had gotten over that point already. I was excited you know ? '

' Of course I do.'

' And it kills me seeing you and Noah doing so well, not because I don't want you guys to do well, of course I do , just because it makes me think Lee and I could have done it too. ' She began to cry and I wrapped my arms around her.

' Rachel this way you're going to be able to go to college and do all the fun things that I'm never going to get the chance to do now. I can't begin to imagine what you are going through but I rely believe everything happens for a reason.'

' I know Elle, I do too. It's just so hard to accept what happened. It's so cruel. 'I didn't say anything, I just hugged her while she cried.

' And Elle, I am so sorry I haven't been there for you this last while. I've been feeling awful about it, I mean that. I want to get to know Maddison. Lee talks about her all the time, she sounds so incredible. '

' Don't be stupid Rach, I knew you needed time. Don't worry about it, I am glad you want to get to know her. She's your goddaughter after all. '

' Wait.. what. '

' Will you be her godmother Rach? '

' Oh Elle, of course I will ! Of course I will ! ' She jumped over to hug me again, this time in a happy way. ' I'm so honoured. '

' I hope you don't mind job sharing.. we asked June too. '

' That's so sweet. Oh you guys.. '

' Of course you still don't have to meet her until your ready- '

' Are you kidding.. I have to meet her now ! '

We walked back to the car and we drove back to the house. Lee was in the living room with her. She was sprawled out on a mat playing with her Sophie Giraffe toy. Rachel skipped in past me and went to lift her up.

' Hello little girl. I'm your godmother. 'She planted little kisses on her face and held her tight. Maddie let out soft giggles. I looked at Lee who was looking at Rachel but turned to me and mouthed ' Thank you. '