The Hour of Confession

Maddison let out a cry around six thirty am. I was asleep on the outside of the bed so I tried to lift her up, it hurt but at least I was able to. I changed her diaper and made up her bottle and she fell back asleep. I decided to to see if Lee was awake. Lee wasn't your typical lazy boy, he woke up early. He liked to be on his own in the mornings, he would drive up a mountain to see the sunrise or go for a swim near the pier. I was one of few people that knew Lee hid a lot of himself for the outside world. His mom always said I saw sides of Lee that nobody else did, maybe Rachel did. I could never tell. I looked out the window but his car was still there. Weird. I peaked into his bedroom and saw he was sitting in there, he looked like he was in a daze. The silence was interrupted by the sound of Maddison waking up again. I walked in and saw Noah waking up. I kissed him on the head. ' I got her ' I whispered and he smiled and turned back to sleep. I picked her up slowly and carried her into Lee's room.

' Does someone need a Maddie sized cuddle? ' I asked. He reached his arms out and I passed her over. He put his head down and cuddled into her. She curled her little wrinkled fingers like she does when she's going to sleep. Nobody got her to sleep like Lee did.

' So.. '

' So? .. '

' Lee, what is wrong. I know there is something so don't tell me theres not. '

' Elle.. no it's.. '

' Have you and Rachel broken up? '

' Well, no. '

' Then what is it? '

' Elle really, I don't want to talk about it. '

' Lee you're sitting here crying at six am. Talk to me. '

Lee sighed and stared into space for a couple of moments, he turned and looked down into Maddison's face, as if he was looking for strength. He Sighed again.

' Okay, you know how Rachel hasn't been around much. '

' Yes, it's not like her. '

' Elle...a week or two before Maddison was born. Rachel took a pregnancy test. '

' Oh my god. '

' It was positive obviously. '

' So she's.. '

' We went to the doctor and we were told the baby was smaller than she should have been. '

' Well that happens very often, it usually ends up okay ! '

' We took the news hard, but there was nothing we could do about it. '

' Okay. '

' Then the night you had Maddison, after the party at ours. Rach started bleeding.. a lot. When I came to see you that night I had actually been there for 2 hours already. I came to see you when Rach was sleeping. '

' Is she okay? '

' Long story short, she lost the baby. ' Lee let out a gulp, trying not to start crying again. '

' Oh Lee.. ' I did start crying though. ' I am so so sorry. ' I hugged him gently minding the baby in his arms.

'I like having Maddison, holding her and cuddling her but for Rachel is isn't as easy. We know that whats for you won't pass you, and that it wasn't planned or anything, but jesus Elle, the pain is so bad. To know what could have been ours.'

We sat in silence and held each other for a long time after that.