After Summer

Noah's POV

' Daddy.. wake up. '

I stirred and turned over in the bed to face my ever bossy daughter.

' Maddie, it's three in the morning. ' I sighed and rubbed my eyes at the blurry numbers on my alarm clock.

' I had a bad dream. ' I sat up gently, being careful not to wake Elle as my eyes adjusted to the darkness.

' What did you have a bad dream about? ' I whispered as I allowed her to get into bed beside me.

' It was about school. '

' Are you scared about your first day of kindergarten tomorrow? '

' I'm scared that somebody will be mean to me. '

' Baby, I knew your mommy when she was your age, and she was fiesty.. just like you are. I know that you will be just fine. I promise.'

' I believe you. ' She mumbled as she curled up into my arms and fell back asleep. Now I was the one awake, looking down at my little girl. Her long eyelashes, dainty nose with freckles splattered across her cheeks. My concentration was broken by her lookalike turning in the bed to face me, still fast asleep. A soft smile planted on her closed lips.

Elle had been crazy busy the last couple of months, she'd started college part time. A business degree, which she was hoping to follow up a veterinary degree. It meant she was out most nights as soon as I got home from work. Of course, Lee was also doing classes, in chemistry. It was doing wonders for his head, and for Elle's. I did miss spending as much time with her though, tomorrow however, was Maddie's first day of Kindergarten and I'm not entirely sure who would be more emotional.

' Wake up daddy ! ' Maddie shouted as she shook me awake, I squinted as my eye's adjusted to the light. She stood before me, her hair tied up with a ribbon wrapped around it, her little plaid skirt and her light blue jumper complete with crest. She looked so proud, almost as proud as I looked right now. Elle walked in behind her. Aria sitting on her hip, Elle looked pale, I put it down to her being tired from studying so much.

' Jesus Elle, she looks just like you.. It's crazy. '

' I know ! I just sent my dad a picture, he said the same thing. Now come on and get up, I've made pancakes.' She bent down to kiss me.

' I can't believe we have a child that goes to school already. '

' We're basically ancient now. '

' Speak for yourself.. '

' Really, cause you've got a little grey right there. ' Elle gestured towards my head, I spun around quickly to the mirror and examined my hair. Elle burst out laughing.

' You are ridiculous, you know that... '

' I love you. ' I cut her off.

' Well I love you more. '

' Daddy.. ' Aria shouted and threw her arms out towards me. I lifted her up and we headed downstairs for breakfast.

We walked her through the school gates hand in hand, I could feel her grip clench as we neared the door. When we stopped, I bent down to her level.

' Knock em dead baby. We're so proud of you.'

' I will daddy. '

' I hope you make lot's of friends. ' Elle smiled, tearily.

' Just no boyfriends ! '

' Daddy, why are you crying? '

' I'm not crying.. ' I laughed and pulled my aviators over my eyes. ' I'm sorry I won't be here to collect you, I have to fly to New York for a meeting. '

' Knock em dead dad. ' She grinned, we hugged her one last time and she ran into her classroom. I wrapped my arms around Elle and rested my chin on her head.

' So now we're those parents .. '

Once we recovered from the drop off, we headed to the pier to meet Lee and Rachel in Starbucks. Aria and Oscar shrieked when they saw each other.

' Elle, did you just give Maddie your skirt from the first day of junior year? '

' SHUT UP ! ' Elle burst out laughing. ' Could you be anymore annoying. '

It was impossible not to watch them and laugh. That incredible humour that they shared. I hope our kids share the same thing.

' You guys, it's just so great to see you two so together, and so happy. ' Elle smiled. Rachel rested her head on Lee's shoulder. They looked so cosy together.

' Thanks Elle, we're really happy. I'm so grateful that we were able to work things out. We just don't want to rush anything now. '

' Exactly, take it slow. There's no point rushing to get married or anything. You have time. '

' Unless of course, you love each other and want to get married. ' I chirped in. Was Elle making a dig at me, does she think we got married too fast.

' Yeah but, theres no rush. We're young and getting married too young isn't always the best option. '

' I can't believe what you're saying Elle, yeah we got married young but I thought that was what you wanted .. '

' Noah? What's gotten into you? I'm happy that we're married. I'm just saying that not everyone has to get married just because they have a baby. '

' Right. Fine. Whatever you say I guess. '

' Noah? '

' I said it's fine, I have to go now anyway. I'll see you tomorrow night. Bye Lee, bye Rachel. ' I walked over and kissed Aria on the head. ' Bye Elle. ' She stood up to follow me out, she still looked pale. I kept walking.

A/N Hello again ! I know it's been a while ( Almost nine months ...) Somehow I basically procrastinated throughout an entire pandemic ... but hello again and thank you for all your love and kind comments. Sending you all positive vibes. X