Theres Something Rotten

Noah's POV

I stepped into the room as quietly as I could, Elle had her back to me. She turned around as I shut the door. The eye's that met me now didn't belong to the Elle I knew. Surrounded by dark circles, they didn't have their usual sparkle. They were sunken into her gaunt face. She had lost weight everywhere really. I was beginning to see what everyone was talking about. I had to hide my shock.

' Elle '

' Noah '

' Can we talk ?' Elle looked surprised to see me.

' Yeah.. yeah sure. ' She sat down and patted the bed beside her. I sat beside her, I found it hard to look at her. The upset and stress etched on her face is all my doing. I could tell she didn't want to be touched.

' Elle I haven't been myself for the last while have I? '

' Well you haven't been the Noah that I know. ' That was cold. ' Noah you've left me all my own for weeks, I've barely even left this house because I am trapped here minding Maddie and I'm scared to bring her out by myself and she's getting bigger and she needs new clothes but I've never had to go shopping with a baby before and I can't just ask your mom for help all the time because she has her own life but I just gave up asking you, you've practically been ignoring me and I'm so tired Noah.. I am just so tired. I'm going through this all on my own and I can't do it anymore.. I can't . ' She was getting more and more upset with every word she said.

' Elle. '

' What. '

' I can explain. '

' I'd like to hear how .. '

' Elle remember when I went to the store to get groceries for Lee, Rachel and ourselves. '

' Yeah, of course. '

' Well I met Warren there Elle, and I beat him up. Badly. '

' Oh Noah... '

' Elle I broke two of his ribs, the police arrived but the only reason they let me off was because of the previous history between us. I did however have to go to an anger management class. '

' You never told me ..'

' I know baby, I didn't want to worry you. Okay so I went to the classes, and they ran a couple of tests and they decided that I should see a therapist for a while. '

' Okay '

' And she put me on some medication to try and calm me down - '

' Noah you don' have anger problems. Warren tried to hurt me and the baby. Anyone would have reacted badly. '

' I know but they put me on these meds anyway. I didn't notice any changes at first but then I started to feel really depressed, dark and unmotivated. It was awful .. and thats when I started to leave you lonely. Two days ago I went back to the therapist and told her that they weren't working for me anymore and so I stopped taking them. The side effects of coming off them were making me so nauseous and very grumpy. Hence what happened last night.. Elle.. I am so sorry for not telling you and then hurting you, you know I would never want to do that to you. And I will make it up to you, I'm better now. Please forgive me. '

Elle continued to stare into space for what seemed like another eternity because she climbed into my arms and rested her head against my chest. ' I really missed you' she whispered into my ear. We stayed like that until my mom got back from the store with Maddie. We had a family dinner just the three of us then I looked after Maddie while Elle went to watch some horror at the movies with Lee. She deserved a break.