Double First

As soon as Noah got home, life felt perfect again. He still had another month of his work sabbatical left and he was taking full advantage of it. He woke up every morning, went for a run and by the time we had woken up, he would have a full breakfast on the table. He also took every opportunity to bring Maddie to school himself, like the proud dad he is. After a blissful week, it was time to celebrate Aria and Oscar's first birthday.

' Morning. ' I smiled and stretched as Noah walked into the bedroom post run.

' Good morning beautiful. Noah do not even think about getting back into this bed, I have way too much stuff to do before the party later. '

' No you don't, I'll do it all. Just give me a list. ' Noah urged confidently and pulled me onto him to kiss me.

' I can't help thinking that you're sucking up to me because you want to have a baby. '

' Is it that obvious?'

' I'm just thinking about it still, okay. It's a big decision to make. Aria is just turning one and I'm only beginning to like my body again. ' I sighed as I stood up and contorted in the mirror. ' Emphasis on beginning. '

' Elle, you're the most beautiful girl in the world. I wish more than anything that you could see that.' Noah walked over and wrapped his arms around my waist. ' This body literally created two little girls. ' I pressed my head under Noah's chin. ' Enough hints Romeo, I told you that I'm thinking about it, and since I'm thinking about it. I think it's only fair that you go and collect the cake from the bakery so I don't have to leave the house today. ' I winked but I was not joking in the slightest.

' Your wish is my command, m'lady. '

' You sound like your brother. '

' My brother who is downstairs with his old but new girlfriend feeding our kids breakfast. '

' Shit, I better go down and get them. '

' Elle.. they're fine. Leave them. '

' But - '

' It's good for Lee, leave him with them, besides I need to have a shower. '

' What's your point? 'Noah's million dollar smirk beamed from his face as he lifted me up and carried me into the shower with him.

We finally made it downstairs just before eleven. Noah headed straight out to pick up the cake while Lee, Rachel and I decorated the garden. We weren't having a big party, just a couple of friends and our parents. I dressed Aria in a denim skirt with black converse and then dressed Maddie in something similar. I put on a grey body con dress with white ankle length converse and a checked shirt wrapped around my waist. I spent forever getting my hair to sit in a cute yet messy ponytail.

Noah appeared down a few minutes later in his typical ripped jeans, denim jacket and biker boots combo. He came into the room and walked straight over to kiss me in front of the others.

' Ew dudes, PDA alert please. ' Lee choked, pretending to puke.

' Little bro, don't think we didn't hear you last night. ' Noah grinned, pretending to puke back. Lee and Rachel's faces went a florescent shade of pink. As Noah walked away smirking, he told me later that he hadn't actually heard anything last night and he just got lucky with the timing.

A couple of hours later I stood in the middle of the garden, admiring everything that was going on around me. Noah was sitting on the loungers drinking beer with some of his old friends. Our parents were all sitting on the deck chatting while Maddie harassed Brad and his girlfriend ' who is totally not his girlfriend, she's just his friend ' to play with her. ' Lee and Rachel were sitting at the side of the pool, playing with Oscar. However big this day was for Noah and I, it was a much bigger deal for them. We already had a four year old, this was their first birthday with their child and Lee looked ecstatic about the whole thing.

My thought process was interrupted by a tap on the back from Noah who had Aria in his arms. ' Having fun? '

' Of course. I just can't believe we have a four year old and a one year old now. '

' And maybe this time next year we'll have a - ' I took one of my signature Shelley glares to cut Noah off mid sentence. I was considering it, and I made Noah promise not to interfere in my considerations.

We all gathered round to sing happy birthday to the babies who had no idea what was going on, however Maddie was fully aware and insisted on being the one to blow out the candles on the cake. Just as she did, there was an unholy crashing noise as the ground started to shake beneath us. ' FUCK. ' Noah roared as I froze in fear. The next thing I remember was a tree falling as I was pulled away. It was all over within a minute. Everyone was sat on the ground, frozen in fear. Everyone except Noah, who was cradling the girls and I in his arms as he called around to everyone to see if they were okay. I could hear Lee having a panic attack across the pool, while Rachel stoked his back and told him he was going to be okay.

I felt Noah's grip tighten around me. ' Elle, talk to me. It's okay now. Everything is okay and everyone is fine. '

' I.. I think I'm going to be sick. I jumped up and raced into the bathroom, my weak legs barely able to carry me. I just about made it before I spewed everywhere. This wasn't surprising, I had a habit of getting sick when I was in shock. Ever since my mom was ill and Noah had learnt to leave me alone when it happened.

I tidied myself up and headed back outside where everyone was sweeping up broken glasses and debris from the ground. I felt Noah's arm wrap around my waist and I pressed myself into him. The sounds of house alarms and sirens blaring in the distance.

We slept with our girls between us in the bed last night, not that either of us slept much. The first large scale earthquake that California have had in five years. I guess Aria's first birthday won't be forgotten in a hurry.