A Gun Shot Rang Out

You know when someone is just born to do something? I truly believe that Noah was born to be a dad.. Here we were in our third scan, listening to the babies heartbeat as Noah cried his eyes out with joy.

' And Elle, you've been feeling good? Only four months to go. '

' I feel good doctor, maybe a little more tired than usual but nothing to be worried about. '

' Elle you never told me you were feeling tired.. ' Noah looked at me, concern showing through his teary eyes.

' Noah I promise it's nothing to worry about.'

' Do you need me to take time off work Elle? Do you need more rest? '

' Noah I am okay, really I am.. '

' It looks like Noah has it covered Elle.. ' The doctor smiled. ' This isn't something I do for everyone, but the hospital has a few devices that we give to parents to listen to the baby's heartbeat when they want to -. '

' WE WOULD LOVE THAT, I would love to let Maddie hear. ' Noah cut the doctor off before she could finish her sentence. He was so excited.

' I'll grab it for you now and meet you in reception. ' She left quietly.

Noah helped me off the bed and pulled me into him, kissing my head. He was sniffling again.

' Noah, you're gonna drown yourself in tears if you don't stop crying. Is everything okay? '

' Elle, I'm just so thankful for you. Look what you have done for me, look at the little family we have, all because of you Elle. I'm so sorry that you've been feeling tired, please let me help you. I'd cancel this weekend, but I can't cancel on Brad. Are you gonna be okay?'

' Noah, you have to stop worrying about me, I'm okay.. okay? '

' I know you are Elle.. I love you. ' He pulled me in close and kissed my head

' WAIT NOAH STOP ! '

' What is it, Elle what's wrong? '

' She's kicking.. ' Noah instantly pressed his hands to my tummy, he stood there in complete silence, barely even able to blink.

' Was.. was that her first kick. '

' Yeah Noah, it was. '

' I finally got to feel my baby kick for the first time. ' He was shaking with joy, which made me cry too. Noah crouched down, hands still on my tummy as he kissed it.

' Hello little girl. ' He whispered. ' I haven't met you, but I love you. '

When we were essentially pushed out of the surgery, we separated in the carpark.

' Sorry I can't come straight home Elle, I have a couple of loose ends to tie up at work first. I'll be home around 4 to get my bag. '

' I'll be there, I'm gonna pick up Maddie first. '

' I love you. '

' I love you more. '

I called Rachel on the way to collect Maddie from playgroup. We organised to go baby shopping tomorrow morning. She was really excited and I was looking forward to talking to someone that understood my pain. Noah came home and I practically had to force him out the door. It wasn't that he wasn't looking forward to spending time with Brad. He just hated being away from Maddie and I. I was relieved when I woke up the next morning, I had brought Maddie into the bed beside me because I hadn't slept alone in years and I wasn't fond of it. I dressed Maddie in her denim jacket and white nikes that her daddy bought her, then sent him a picture. I headed to the mall with Rachel.