Not The Night We Expected

This was different to what all the movies look like, in movies the mom goes into hospital and has the baby five minutes later. Real life isn't so good, in real life you have to endure hours and hours of contractions, each one more intense than the last. I looked at Noah, who had edged his chair as close as he possibly could to the edge of the bed and was holding my hand.

' You do realise you're never touching me again. '

He snorted under his breath ' mmmhmm how is that epidural and drugs going down. '

' No I mean it, never again, not now, not ever. '

' I'm going to go and get you more ice chips, you're all sweaty. I'll be back in a second. '

Just after Noah left I had another contraction, it was a bad one. Although I was cheered up by the fact Lee arrived in halfway through and freaked out to find a doctor.

' No no no Lee, it's a contraction.. it's what happens. I've been having them all the time. He came over and hugged me.

' Where is Noah? '

' He went to get me ice chips, but I think he really went to drink coffee without me having to see it. '

' Ooooh coffee.. '

' Tell me about it.. I haven't had the stuff in 9 months .. actually Lee as soon as she's born can you bring me a Starbucks from downstairs.. '

' Really? '

' Yeah .. really.. that's your first duty as godfather.. '

' Getting the mom coffee.. like an intern. ' He threw his head back and laughed.

' Exactly.. I'll get you a beeper. ' I laughed.

' So mom and dad know you're here, but they said they won't come yet. My mom said she's only a phone call away if you want her, and your dad can't get a babysitter for Brad. '

I didn't reply to him though as another contraction hit. This was far closer to the last one that before. Lee grabbed my hand, he looked scared until Noah walked back into the room and the calmness on his face made him relax.

My doctor walked in just as it was coming to an end. She gave me a warm smile and checked how everything was going. She did an internal then checked the computer monitor.

' Is everything okay? ' Noah asked her nervously.

' Yes, good news Elle, you're nine centimetres dilated so you should be ready to push very soon. '

' Oh my god. '

' The only concern I have is the baby's blood pressure has dropped so we're going to bring you to the delivery room right now and get this started okay? ' Suddenly I turned into full panic. I burst into tears and grabbed Noah.

' Is she okay? She's not going to die is she ? ' I was hysterical.

' Elle, ell, elle, she is perfectly okay. We're monitoring it and once we have you downstairs we can have the baby out in 5-10 seconds if I have to. '

' O - o -okay. ' I felt Noah's arms tighten around me.

' I'll send a porter up for you in a couple of minutes and I'll see you down there. '

When she left the room stayed silent, there was a layer of fear over our heads. Lee spoke up first.

' Well guys, I'm going to go to the waiting room. I get this is personal and there is no way I'm watching Elle give birth.. ew. ' We all burst out laughing. ' I'll call everyone and let them know what going on okay. ' He walked over and wrapped me in a hug ' you're gonna be the best mom. ' He whispered. He then walked over and gave Noah a hug.. I had never seen them hug like that ' good luck bro, look after her. ' Noah nodded back at him ' of course I will. '

Lee left and the porter came in. He pushed the bed down to the delivery room where the doctor was waiting. I was hooked back up to monitors and the doctor was checking the scans.

' Okay Elle, ten centimetres. Are you all ready to go? '

' Where is Noah?'

'He's just gone to get scrubs on. ' Just as she finished that sentence Noah walked back in wearing blue scrub. He made me laugh.

' Okay Elle, on the next contraction I'm gonna need you to push down with all your might okay? '

I reached out my hand and took Noah's hand. I knew from how hard he was holding that he wouldn't let go. I also knew he was just as scared as I was. I gave him a reassuring squeeze. Next thing I knew I was pushing.

An hour and a half later I was still pushing. I turned to Noah and burst into tears. ' Noah I can't do it anymore, I'm so tired. '

The doctor pulled him across the room.

NOAH'S POV *

' Mr Flynn I think Elle is going to need a C section, she's too tired to push anymore and I don't say that lightly to people. She's having a very difficult birth and I worry the baby is getting stressed. I need you to be aware this will extend her recovery time and I need to be assured she has the support at home. She won't be able to walk for a day or two and she can't drive or do much physical activity for 6 weeks. '

I looked over at Elle, she was so tired. She had worked so hard, she was going to be crushed she needed a c section, she had told me she didn't want one. I turned back to the doctor and nodded. ' That's no problem she has a lot of support, just get the baby out. '

I walked back over. Elle was asleep on the table. I shook her awake gently, ' Hey baby, the doctor is going to do a C - section okay? No more pushing. ' Elle nodded and her eyes fell closed again. She was exhausted. They hung a sheet so Elle couldn't see what they were doing. She woke up when she heard they could see the baby. I stood beside her. A wait that seemed to last forever was finally broken by the sound of a baby's cry. She was here. I'm not gonna lie, I cried, I cried a lot. I looked down and Elle was crying too, less than me, but Im not entirely sure she knew what was happening with the drugs. Suddenly she was placed on Elle's chest.

' Hello beautiful girl. ' She said.

' We've been waiting for you. ' I was still crying, I'm not sure it'll ever stop.