I'm So Tired

3 AM

A Month Later

Being a mom had heightened my senses. I could practically hear Maddie cry before she actually cried, which meant I ended up doing the night shifts and I was exhausted. I was exhausted to the point that even getting dressed and leaving the house was a challenge. I had looked in the mirror just before bed. I have bags under my eyes, disheveled hair, my skin is paler than it used to be and I had lost weight. Noah didn't even notice though, he'd started to become distant from me recently. Maddie and I spent a lot of time alone.

Just before 3am Maddie let out a cry. I nudged Noah. ' Noah please can you get her, I'm so exhausted. 'He just pretended he couldn't hear me though, his breathing changed so I knew he was awake. He just didn't want to get up. 'Noah.. please. ' He didn't move. I actually had tears in my eyes from the exhaustion. ' Noah please just get her I'm so tired. ' Noah jumped up out of bed and went to walk out the door. ' Jesus Elle I'm trying to sleep..' He walked out the door without waiting for me to respond and I heard him settle back down to sleep on the couch downstairs. I stood up and soothed Maddie who cried heavier at hearing her dad. ' You're okay baby. I'll get your bottle ' I reached over and got it from the bedside table. She stopped crying as soon as it hit her lips and she was asleep within seconds. I sat up awake most of the night though, mainly in tears. I don't know what had happened to Noah all of a sudden.

The morning came quickly though, I didn't want to get up but Maddie had other ideas. I had a brainwave. I called June as I heard her walking by. Is everything okay Elle? '

I sat down on the bed. ' June.. I don't know whats up with Noah. He won't help me out, he's in bad moods all the time lately and when I asked him to feed Maddie in the middle of the night he walked out... ' I started to cry .. again. ' June I'm so tired I can barely keep my eyes open. Is there any chance you could take her, even for an hour. I just need to sleep. ' June met me with a warm hug. ' Oh Elle, I've been worried about you. You have been looking so tired... I'll take Maddie for the day, I didn't have anything planned apart from laundry and cooking. She can spend some quality time with her grandma. I'll try and have a word with Noah too.. '

' June you are my hero. '

' Not at all, you're like a daughter Elle. I'll always be there for you. ' June took Maddie out of my arms and grabbed her things, closing the door behind her. I climbed straight into bed and fell asleep in an instant.

When I woke up I rolled over and looked at the clock. It was almost 5pm, I had slept all day. I still felt exhausted but I couldn't sleep anymore. I needed to take Maddie off June. I stood up and looked out the window, I noticed my car was gone, June must have used it to go to the store with the carseat. I turned back when I heard the door open and shut quietly.

' Elle '

' Noah '

' Can we talk? '