An Unexpected Guest

Things were great for a while. Noah , Maddie and I were still in our own little engagement bubble. Lee and Rachel were putting the finishing touches on their apartment as college was staring on October second. Noah and I were doing our best to help but it was hard with Maddie. Nobody had been in contact with Mathew still. June was in my dad's whenever she got the chance which wasn't hard since Mathew was on a business trip every other weekend apparently.

It was Sunday afternoon and Noah and I were just coming back from a walk with Maddie when June walked up the driveway.

' Mom. '

' Noah. '

' Mom, what's up? Why are you crying? ' Noah asked, panic in his voice.

' Noah it's your dad.. '

' What.. Oh my god, is he dead? '

' No baby no, he's just left.. he left me, says he has a new girlfriend in Arizona. He wants a divorce. ' June sobbed.

' What the fuck. ' Noah spat. He walked over and wrapped his mother in a hug. ' Elle, can you go and get Lee for me.. please. ' I didn't answer, I ran into the house.

' LEE, LEE ! '

' Elle.. whats up? ' He appeared on the landing panicked, Rachel behind him.

' Can you come outside. 'He raced down the stairs and out to his mom. Rachel and I stood in the doorway watching their mouths babbling in the distance. We knew our involvement wasn't needed right now.

' I'm going to fucking kill him. ' Lee shouted, I don't think I had ever seen Lee this way. He looked as angry as Noah in a fight. For once Noah was just comforting his mother, he would get mad later. June was still sobbing.

' Boys he is gone theres nothing left to do. '

' Nobody hurts our mom like this, especially not him. ' Noah snarled. I decided it was time to intervene. ' June please come inside, let me get you something to drink. ' I took her hand and walked her inside, carrying Maddie, who had now decided to cry, in the other arm.

I sat June down at the kitchen island and poured her out a strong coffee. ' For the shock. ' I said and rubbed her shoulders. I looked out the window where Lee and Noah were now both pacing.

' I know I shouldn't be so shocked that this happened. Mathew and I have been falling out of love for a while now, I just never thought it would end like this. ' June cried. I hugged her tight.

' That's always the way it happens isn't it. I'm so sorry June, I had no idea things were bad. '

' We didn't see eye to eye much anymore.. '

' Is that because of Maddie? '

' Well honey, you always knew I was happy about it. Mathew wasn't so keen on you keeping her. '

' What? '

' He had been looking up local abortion clinics in the area.. I saw the history on his laptop. I confronted him and he was planning to speak to you about it. I saw another side to him that day. '

' Oh my god' I clutched Maddie close to me.

' You must have noticed he barely acknowledged her when he was around, not that he had been around much lately. '

' I thought he just wasn't a baby person. ' She shook her head.

' Lee not going to an ivy league school pushed him over the edge. Apparently. ' I hugged June again.

' Oh June I am so sorry, I love you so much. '

' I love you sweetheart, I'm so happy for you and Noah, you know that right? Maddie made me a grandmother. '

' Of course. '

' I don't know what I'm going to do though, the house, the cars.. everything is in Mathew's name. He said he'll take it all back. I don't know where I'm going to go. '

' You'll stay right here. ' My dad announced as he walked into the room. ' June this will always be a home for you. The boys just told me what happened, I am so sorry. ' They hugged tightly. ' I only wish I could break his damn legs.. '

' I think your mafia are waiting on you. ' June said as she pointed out the window at Noah and Lee who were still pacing and appeared to be shouting down a phone. The door was shut so we couldn't hear what was being said, we didn't want to.

A couple of hours later we all sat down together in the living room, wrapped in blankets. Noah had exhausted himself and was asleep beside me with Maddie in his arms. Lee was sitting on the armchair with Rachel squished in beside him. June had her head on Noah's shoulder beside us and Brad, dad and myself were awake and watching some stupid comedy. Too tired to change the channel. It feels like nothing is ever straightforward anymore.