41A Mermaid Avenue

We were allowed to leave the hospital the next morning. Noah and I had spent the night sleeping either side of Maddie. Yesterday had been the scariest day of my whole life. Everyone was waiting back at the house for us, Dad, June, Brad, Lee and Rachel, who had driven down after her last exam yesterday. Maddie was excited to go home and see everyone. Noah and I looked like the ones that had been sick. I sat in the back with her going home, when we pulled up outside everyone was waiting for us.

' UNCLE LEE. ' She always got so excited to see Lee, they adored each other. He walked over and unbuckled her from her seatbelt. She reached her arms out, signalling for him to carry her inside. He did as he was told and I locked the car behind us.

Inside June had made the most incredible lunch, wine included. ' Wow, mom this looks incredible.' Noah said in surprise.

' June you didn't have to do all this... ' I said as she handed me a glass of wine.

' Oh be quiet now, you deserve a treat after the fright.

' Thank you so much. '

We all sat down around the table, Maddie refused to move from Lee's lap and Lee couldn't have been happier about it. Conversation quickly tuned to wedding. We told them all about our beautiful venue and warned them not to google it before the big day, as not to ruin the surprise.

' Are you going to have bridesmaids and groomsmen? 'My dad asked, clearly presuming anyone that was relevant to was in the room.

' Well..' I said. ' I want Lee with me as my best mankind of course Rachel as my bridesmaid. ' Lee jumped up and hugged me tightly. ' Love you Elle, I'll be the best best man there has ever been.'

' Best man or maid of honour? ' Noah asked, earning a slap on the head from Lee.

'And for myself, I'm going to ask Jake to be my best man, and as my groomsman, Brad I want you to do it. '

' REALLY ! NOAH YOU'RE THE BEST. ' A smile was painted on Brad's face as he ran over and wrapped his arms around Noah. Noah hugged him tightly as everyone looked at them in awe. ' Love you little man. '

' Love you Noah. '

Admittedly we all sat around and drank wine most of that evening. Maddie slept between Noah and I in our bed so we could keep an eye on her but she barely even stirred. The next morning I felt her tickling my back.

' Mama see Lee. '

' Lee's not awake yet baby. '

' Coco pops. '

' You moved on quickly.. but yes, we can go get coco pops. ' We both got up and slipped our dressing gowns on quietly, letting Noah sleep in. We came downstairs and into the kitchen and there was Lee and Rachel, sitting up drinking coffee. Rachel was in sweaty work out gear, she had already been out running.

' UNCLE LEE. ' Maddie ran over to him. She clambered into Lee's arms and started eating his toast.

' Maddie your mom used to eat my toast, now you eat my toast. All I wanted was some toast. ' Lee sighed. I grabbed the other half slice off his plate and winked at him. ' Sorry, we're a tag team. '

' So are you guys still going to look at houses today? '

' Well, apartments.. but yes. You guys wanna come? '

' Definitely ! '

' We can't decide whether to go for a two or three bedroom place. '

' Why are you pregnant? ' Lee butted in, making me laugh.

' You wish. '

Noah came down a couple of minutes later and we all got breakfast before getting dressed and heading out. We all drove in my car, the apartment we were looking at today was about twenty minutes away. It was on the third story, white walls, views of the beach, glass balcony and furnished in modern furniture.

' Holy crap, look at this place. ' Lee announced when we walked in.

' It's beautiful. ' Rachel smiled. ' Elle it's like the apartments you pin on Pinterest. '

' Wow. ' I whispered to myself walking around.

' DADDY NO TOYS. ' Maddie announced from Noah's arms.

' Sorry baby, no toys here. It does have three bedrooms though, so she could have a play room.

I had stepped out onto the balcony and wrapped my cardigan around me in the cool sea air. I could hear someone walk out behind me.

' What do you think of it Elle? '

' Noah this place is incredible .. but theres no way we could afford it. '

' I put the deposit down last month.'

' What.. '

' We were approved yesterday. '

' Noah what are you talking about. '

' Well.. the court told my dad he had to sell the house, give my mom eighty five percent of the sale since she's covering Lee's college fees and the fact he abandoned us. '

' So she paid some of our rent? '

' Elle, this place is ours.. '

' Noah.. '

' Are you shocked? ' I fell to my knees and burst into tears. It was embarrassing but what else could I do. Noah had bought us my dream apartment.

' I love you so much Noah... '

' Elle this is our forever beginning. '

' DADA TOYS. ' Maddie announced again which made us both burst out laughing.

' Maddison, we will bring your toys here okay ! '

' Um, can we come out now? ' Lee asked.

' Have you told her? ' Rachel whispered.

' Yes he told me. ' I grinned.

' SUPRISE ! ' They both shouted in unison.

' Damn that has been hard to keep from you. ' Lee laughed. ' It's half the reason I didn't come home for so dang long. '

Honestly, I don't remember too much after that, I was in a complete state of shock, we sat in the apartment talking for hours before we headed back to the house. On the drive home I had an idea. ' Hey guys I'm just going to make a quick stop. ' I took a left and pulled in.

' The cemetery Elle. Are you okay? '

' Yeah I just want to visit my mom for a sec. ' I got out of the car and walked in the gate, I could navigate around this place with my eyes closed now. I sat down beside my mom's grave and tears instantly fell from my eyes.

' Mom I wish you were here, I wish you could see all the wonderful things that have happened to me in the last year. Maddie is so big now, she talks all the time and she sees pictures of you around the house and she knows you are her grandma is heaven. Noah just bought my dream apartment, he really did that, can you believe it and he's asked Brad to be one of his groomsmen at the wedding. He was so happy. I hope you're okay about dad and June, but I feel like you had something to do with it. I just miss you so much. ' I was sobbing now, then I felt a hand on my back, Noah. He sat down beside me.

' You know, right before Joni died, Lee and I went to visit her in the hospital and she asked us to always look after you guys. Especially you, and we promised that we would. I hope she's happy with how I'm doing.

' I know she is. ' I said and cuddled into him. ' Thank you for everything. ' He kissed the top of my head.

' Come on, let's get home. Our parents want to take us out for dinner to celebrate. '

Hello again, sorry I have been MIA for the last while. I hope this chapter makes up for it. Not gonna lie, I cried writing it. All my love.