The Return

Life can change in an instant.

Nobody had realised how badly Lee's mental health had declined. Not until it was too late.

Our Lee.

We moved home pretty quickly after that. The idea of being away from our family was too difficult. Noah and I stayed by Lee's bedside morning and night, holding each other as we cried. Once we knew that he would be okay, Noah headed back to finish off his football season. He really didn't want to, but it was going to cost too much money to get out of his contract.

We went through all the emotions in those couple of weeks. Devastation, fear, anger and guilt. After years of living the high life with Noah, I realised I had completely neglected Lee.

Lee, my first soulmate, in the kind of way only a friend can be. My first friend and one of the few very important people in my life.

When he got out of hospital, it was agreed that he would come back and live with us. Which just about brings me up to the present.

I stood at the bedroom window, staring out at Lee and Maddie playing in the pool. I could hear Maddie's squeals of joy as Lee threw her up and down. I can't believe we almost lost him. My Lee. We didn't though... I just need to keep reminding myself that. I checked that Aria was still asleep before heading down to the pool and jumping in.

' Jesus Lee, the water is freezing.. how have you been in this long? '

' It's not cold, you wuss. ' Lee laughed and splashed me. I liked when he laughed, even if he was just doing it for my benefit.

' How are you feeling today? '

' Rough, the fresh air is doing me a little good though..and Rachel is going to bring Oscar over later. '

' How are you guys doing, with the co - parenting. '

' Better really, you know how much I love Oscar.. but not having the pressure on me all the time is great. '

' Lee, I wish you had told me how much you were struggling. I could have been there for you, I should have been there for you... '

' You've always been there for me Elle, I just.. I didn't think I could be helped. '

' Oh Lee.. ' I swam over and wrapped my arms around him. ' I will be here for you, forever. '

' Love you Elle. '

' Love you more.. I have to go inside, Noah's game is starting soon and I don't want to miss it. I'll order take out, will I get food for Rachel too? '

' That'd be great, thanks. I'll be in soon, I want to watch too. Maddie Flynn, would you like to watch your daddy lose his game? '

' Uncle Lee.. my daddy always wins. ' She beamed with that same cheeky grin that her dad has.

We all snuggled up on the couch and watched the game after that. Noah hadn't been home in three weeks and watching him on the tv was torture, but to see him so happy. That was special.

' Look Maddie, daddy's coming on for this winning interview. ' Maddie scuttled across the room to get as close to the tv as she could as Noah said ' I just wanna say hello to my beautiful girls at home.. my wife Elle, and my little girls Maddison and Aria and my incredible brother Lee .. I love you all so much. '

The room fell quiet as we all smiled around at each other. Lee and Noah had never had a perfect relationship but we all knew they had endless love for each other. Our peaceful moment was interrupted by the doorbell. I stood up to get it, assuming it was the food.

' Oh hey Rachel, hey Oscar sweetie. '

' Hey Elle, how has Lee been today? '

' A little better, he got up, went swimming and spoke a little bit.'

' Thanks for looking out for him. Elle, you're the best thing that ever happened to him, you know that.. '

' I bet this little guy would have something to say about that... ' I smiled and ticked Oscar as he giggled.

' Honestly Elle, I'm sorry I ever acted jealous of you.. You've been there for him through everything, he's lucky to have you. I hope that one day you and I can be friends again. '

' I'd love that Rach. I've missed you. I know tensions got a little high before, but honestly life was just too crazy. '

' It feels like it's only getting crazier.. How is Noah getting on? '

' He's great, he just won his second last game a little while ago. We're missing him, but I'm keeping busy. ' I shut the door behind Rachel as she headed into the living room.

' Hey Lee, look Oscar, daddy is here. 'I watched as Lee's sunken eyes lit up, I couldn't help but notice that they didn't light up for Oscar. I knew Lee's feeling for Rachel had never faded, he felt the love for Rachel that I felt for Noah. I hope that they could find happiness together, for Lee, for their son. I know that Rachel can help to piece Lee back together.

The six of us ate dinner together and I headed upstairs to put the girls to bed. I put them in matching pyjamas and kissed them both goodnight. They had separate bedrooms but they shared a room at night because Maddie claims that she gets lonely without her sister. As I was heading back downstairs, I stilled myself to listen to the conversation downstairs.

' Rach, you know that I love you all the worlds over, but let's take it slow. Okay? '

' Of course Lee, I want us to take it slow too. As slow as you need us to be. Thank you for giving me a second chance. ' I smiled to myself as I heard my two friends becoming close again. Rachel had made mistakes, but I truly believed she was back now.

We spent the evening together chatting over sodas, Lee was't allowed drink for the foreseeable future so we all made a pact to stay sober with him. I'd had two babies, it should be easy. Later that night, I was lying in bed after just saying goodnight to Noah, the emptiness of the bed started to upset me. I wanted my husband home, and soon. I snuck out of bed and down the hall to the room beside me.

' Lee? '

' Yeah Elle? '

' I miss Noah. Can I sleep with you tonight? '

' Come here you dope. '

Hello, I'm sorry.. I'm back! And I've read TKB 2: Going The Distance, and you should all read it too.