48//It's Sentimental Shit

((A/N- the song for this chapter is Three Empty Words by Shawn Mendes))

-Calum

"Alright everyone! Time to open the presents!"Michael announces from the living room.

We all gather together in the spacious room and huddle around the large Christmas tree.

I woke up to the smell of Ashton cooking, the sound of Gracie's yelling and the feeling of kisses being pressed all over my face. We all at breakfast together- Luke, Michael, Ashton, Grace, May, Nia, Hayley and I- and it actually was enjoyable. Everyone was talking and laughing. It was great. But I noticed, Hayley looked exhausted as if she hadn't slept. I didn't question her though.

Now, I sit down between Nia and Luke as Ashton passes around his presents to everyone. I'm handed my box and I immediately shake it around, trying to find out what it is.

"Hope you guys like it!"

I tear off the wrapping paper and open it up to see a set of 30 pins from blink-182, 2 tickets to a football game, a Rolex watch and a 50 dollar gift card to Target.

A large grin grows on my face as I look up at Ashton. "Mate, this is exactly what I wanted! Thank you so much!"I laugh out and pull the curly headed man in for a hug. He giggles and hugs me back.

"Ash, you're too sweet!"

I look over and see Hayley holding up a fairly large poster board. She turns it around so we can see. It has pictures of her and Ashton hugging, one of them at the carnival, one in my backyard the night they all met her, and the other pictures are ones I faintly remember. A cartoon drawing of her holding up drumsticks is in the middle of it all.

He really is too sweet.

Awe's fill the room and I smile.

Everyone else gives out their gifts.

I received a black and white Vans sweater from Gracie, a pair of gucci pants and a matching jacket from May, a bunch of new guitar pics from Michael (I always break them), a new bass from Nia, and Luke bought me 3 pairs of shoes since mine are all turning to shit. I thanked everyone for the gifts up until someone realized for me-

"Hayley, you didn't get Calum a present?"Nia asks.

We all look at her. She turns red and shrugs. "Well, I did. But, after seeing all of the gifts you got I don't think mine would be as good."she laughs out meekly. I smile small. "What is it, I'll probably love it."I say. She huffs before standing up and walking to another room.

She returns with a medium sized, brown, paper bag. She hands me the bag before sitting down with a small shrug. Everyone darts their eyes to me, wondering what's in the bag. I open it with a raised eyebrow and take out the items.

A half eaten bag of gummy worms, two little boxes of apple juice, two carnival tickets and a small slip of paper with her messy handwriting that says, 'Studio 119, 2:17 am, ily2'.

The gummy worms from the night I took her to the studio, the apple juice is because she's a lightweight and we both know it, the carnival tickets- we almost had sex in the men's bathroom, and... she remembered the exact studio and the time I recorded the song.

A goofy grin is prominent on my face as I look up to her. "This is the best gift I've received all morning, Hayes. Thank you."I  confess. She grins back at me and nod. "Glad you like it."she replies.

"What's so good about a couple of snacks and some scraps of paper?"Nia asks and looks over to Gracie. She rolls her eyes at my girlfriend. "It's sentimental shit, only they know about it. It's like an inside joke but not a joke."she explains.

"What's it about, Calum?"May asks me out of curiosity. I look over to her and notice Mikey, Ash, and Luke looking skeptical to me-

-they're telling you nOT TO SAY THE TRUTH, LIE!!

"Oh, nothing. We both really like apple juice and her favorite candy is gummy worms. The carnival tickets were from one of the first, uh, places we went together."I say and stuff the thins back in the bag. "What about the paper?"Nia follows up.

"Oh, it was just the studio where I showed her some of the stuff we do."I lie. She nods.

"Calum, you didn't give Hayley her present."Gracie points out and crosses her arms. A cold chill runs down my spine.

Do NOT give her that gift.

I clear my throat. "Well, I would, but it's not finished yet."I fib. "That's okay, I don't need anything."Hayley smiles warmly. I feel bad, but I try not to show it.

Hayley got me something that means a lot to both of us, it's perfect-

-just like her.

I made her something that I think she would like as much and it is finished, I'm just not sure it's as good as her gift to me.

"Oh, shit- I better go get ready. I have to leave in an hour."Hayley blurts out, looking down at her phone. My small smile drops. "You're leaving, right."I remind myself quietly.

Everyone begins standing up and cleaning up the ripped wrapping paper. I begin picking up my things when I notice from my peripheral, Hayley is grabbing her gifts and walking upstairs.

"Babe, after this, my parents invited us over for brunch."Nia catches my attention as she speaks and presses a hand against my chest. I look down at her with a smile.

"Yeah, sounds great. I'm just gonna throw a few things away and I'll meet you back at my house?"I suggest. She smiles and nods before pressing a kiss against my lips and leaving.

After throwing all my trash away, I make my way up the stairs to Hayley's room and begin to knock on the door when I hear her talking to someone.

"Yeah, it's me...... I'm flying back to New York today and since we're gonna see each other I just wanted to-"she pauses and sighs.

"I'm sorry, I shouldn't have let it happen! It was in the heat of the moment!"she whispers quite loudly. ".....we can go back to how things were before!..... yes, before I came back..... yes, I'll be you're girlfriend, just don't hurt me anymore, please?"

Who is she talking to?

"Jackson, please, I don't want you to be angry with me when I get back...... when you're like that it scares me...... yes, you scare me! You tend to hurt me when you-"

I find myself walking away from the door.

There's no way I can hear anymore of that conversation.

She's honestly going back to him? After all he's done to her? Has she lost her brain?

Well, in her defense, she's a little bit, kinda, MAJORLY broken-hearted.

I sigh of frustration and walk out.

There's no point in going up there and telling her what I wanted to tell her. It's basically too late anyways.

—————————————

A/N-

ok these next few chapters finna be sad as shit but bare with me

-Jenna💕