[D.O] Noodles

I was cold, tired and hungry.

To top it off, I still had little remnants of my previous breakup that had happened two months ago. A month ago I was still a wreck. I was out of sorts, I couldn't think straight anymore. I was affected to extents that I didn't even dream to be possible. I even doubted my ability to exist anymore. I'm glad I'm so much better right now.

I'd just gotten off work at the local bookstore in my small little city. I had a decent degree that could fetch me a pretty more-than-decent paying job in your local company. There was no way I could find joy in doing loads and a half of paperwork, being stuck in front of a darn computer screen in a tiny cubicle. Not wanting to bring myself to do something I don't enjoy, I tossed the thought of working in the city away and replaced it with a more relaxed and enjoyable job that could earn me a little more than enough. Yes, I am a bookworm.

I met Han last winter. We started out as friends, enjoyed each other's company and hung out often. He was working on the other side of my town. Soon enough, we got together. The first couple of months was utter bliss. We were so in love, we practically lived, breathed and revolved around each other. No one could possibly tear us apart. The next month was even better, though minor differences in opinions appeared. I think that was where the whole thing started.

The number of problems and differences between us both were increasing. I didn't know what went wrong. Minor arguments occurred but we still stuck by each other. However, everything just kept snowballing the next few months. More arguments, more fights, less love. Last month, he was caught cheating on me, by me. That's where I broke, and the pieces were so fragmented it was so difficult to haul myself together.

I saw the break-up coming, but I loved him so much to let him go. Despite the increasing arguments and differences between us, I still loved him, so much. I guess I was the only one loving in this relationship. He seemed like he could give less than a shit when I met up with him for closure about two months ago.

Break-ups are no-jokes I'm telling you. I was so drained, so lifeless, so dull, I'd practically turned into someone I didn't know myself. I lost my appetite, I lost a few friends, I lost money indulging in alcohol to drown my sorrows, and I lost the man of my life. Man does that suck. I'd gotten back on track a little three weeks ago, and I'd say I'm coping decently now, just minor hiccups along the week.

I stepped into the convenience store and grabbed myself a cup of instant kimchi ramyun. Every time I went in there I'd get the kimchi one, even in the summer. Lucky for me, it was autumn nearing winter, and it was starting to get chilly. A steaming cup of instant kimchi ramyun would definitely warm me up and make me a happy kid. After a satisfying meal, I stepped back out into the cold to be accidentally bumped into. A cutie stared back with rounded eyes and he gave an apologetic smile, receiving one from me too.

__________________________________________________________________

Work ended pretty late the next day, and the temperature was dipping down. It was literally f-r-e-e-z-i-n-g and it was to the extent I had to take out my winter coat ALREADY. It was only early November mind you. Seemed to be a routine that week - being cold (because I don't wear enough), tired and hungry everyday after work. To the convenience store it was!

There were a handful of people besides me in the convenience store, most of them getting a snack or two, while one or two just came in for the heater. I decided to skim through the racks before getting my cup ramyun again. It wasn't time to step out of the norm, I had to have my kimchi-flavoured cup ramyun. Browsing through the racks, I grabbed a few snacks to stock up my low supply back at my apartment, and continued to waste more time.

Stopping by a particular shelf, I went through a mental struggle. Maoams were right in front of me. Choosing a Maoam flavour was one of the most mind-torturing thing for me to do. Cola......? But I haven't tasted lemon in the longest time. Furrowing my brows, I leant towards the Grape flavoured ones. Damn. For a moment, my mind drifted and I looked through the holes of the shelf. A familiar pair of doe eyes stared back at me before turning into crescents, then that someone walked away.

Tilting my head, I still couldn't put a face to those eyes. Forget it, Maoams are more important. I swept one of each flavour off the shelf and went to pay at the cashier. Of course, not forgetting my cup ramyun.

After topping up the boiling water, I stepped outside with my stuff and sat at the steps of the convenience store. The feeling of eating hot, spicy kimchi ramyun is something I'd never get tired of. Time passed by rather quickly, because my five minutes of cooking was up in no time. Breaking my wooden chopsticks into two, I dug in with a satisfied smile, the taste of kimchi tingling my senses. Yes, I did find joy in the simplest things.

A moment later, I feel a presence beside me, beginning to watch me eat. I felt a little wary and decided to move away a little. Someone's gaze was still drilling into my face. It broke for a couple of seconds when he let out a cute sneeze though. I drank a bit of my kimchi soup, not quite finished with my meal yet but I decided to give that someone a little attention. As I lifted my face, I saw the guy from yesterday! The one I bumped into at the door of this exact same place. He flashed me a grin and pointed to my cup ramyun, "Still hooked onto that? You haven't changed huh?"

Changed? I haven't changed? Did this guy know me from before? His voice did sound familiar, but from where did I know him? I stared at him for a while, still trying to process his words and actions, and put them to a particular person I might have memories of. "Do you know me from before?" My brows creased to the middle again.

"Of course Bae, why wouldn't I?" He called out gently as he gave me a smile as gentle as his voice.

That's when everything came back. Kyungsoo was back. Kyungsoo.....he was back! And man was he hot.

I abandoned my cup ramyun and reach out to give him a crushing hug. His arms crept behind my back and hugged me back. We go way back from 7th grade, and he was my best friend. In 10th grade, I developed a huuuuuuge crush on him, and he was my best friend. Kyungsoo moved away in 11th grade to Seoul where he completed his high school education, as well as made it to one of the top universities in South Korea, at least that was what I heard. A fuzzy feeling in my stomach made me smile, wide, and my feelings were in a mess again.

I pulled away from him and looked up, "What are you doing here? Aren't you supposed to be in Seoul?" I asked out of curiosity.

"Why? Do you want to chase me away already?" He feigned shock as I hit his shoulder in playful banter. We continued chatting for a while and decided to leave when it was getting too cold for us to handle. Kyungsoo walked me back home, and we walked in comfortable silence with occasional small talk. It was good, really nice having to see him again.

Another smile spread across my face. Perks of being acquainted to Do Kyungsoo. We caught each other's glances and laughed a little. Mine sounded more like a faint giggle though. He let out a relieved sigh while we strolled a bit more.

We reached my apartment and continued chatting for a little while more. As we bade goodbye, he told me that he'll see me around soon, so I was feeling kind of fluttery again. Was he going to be staying? I decided not to ask, in case I am met with disappointment. I beamed up at him and he mirrored my expression. He hugged me once more and spoke into my ear.

"Well.....about that first question.....I came back to claim your heart. Is it still beating as fast as it was a few years ago?"