62

Quickly the dreamless night I hoped for turned into a dream. Not just a dream, the one dream I can never figure out. White sheets. Warm hands. Blowing curtains. Broken window. Wooden floors. The feeling of comfort. Each time I get this dream I have one goal: find who is in bed with me.

But like usual, just when I tried, I woke up.

“Morning,” Emrys said as I took the last step down the staircase. I looked at him, seeing him in different clothes and a warm cup of coffee in his hands. Above him I checked the clock, 05:54. “You look like you’ve had a nice, peaceful dreamless night.”

I looked at him and sighed. “Oh god I wish.” I walked over to the coffee pot, snatched myself a mug and threw myself some coffee.

“Same dream?” he asked, seeing me sit down. Suddenly I was aware of my messy, knotted up hair.

“Silky white sheets; soft, warm skin; broken windows; blowing curtains. Yeah.” I took a sip from my coffee, feeling it burn my tongue. I spit it back into the mug the moment it tasted gross. “What the hell is this?” I asked, looking at Emrys, who had a smirk spread on his lips. He shrugged, taking another sip of his own coffee. “I swear,” I began, “If you ever try to feed me decaf again, I will kill you with my own bare hands.” I stood up, leaving my mug on the table. 

“Where are you going?” Emrys asked loudly, seeing me walk past the staircase.

“Going to tweak on my toys,” I called out, before walking into my study.

I switched on the light, making the room light up. The desks lit up with yellow LED lights and the tube with my suit lit up. The orange and yellow lines on my suit lit, making me smile.

I walked forward to one of the desks, pulling my phone out of my sweatpants pocket. I plugged it in, causing a screen to pop up in front of me, floating. I picked up a metal bracelet from the table, pulling it onto my wrist. Instantly it tightened around my wrist, sitting tightly on my skin. With a quick hover underneath the screen, it completely moved onto the monitor on my wrist, floating above my arm.

Walking over to another table, I tapped ‘34’ on the keyboard, causing the tube to open up, showing my suit. I walked to stand in front of it but kept my eyes on the screen.

Lightly I tapped twice on my suit, just under the belt, making the suit’s design pop up on my screen.

I smiled, walking over to a chair, while switching out colours, really trying to find the perfect blend with white. Swiping the screen to the left, it moved onto another monitor in front of me. I picked up a tech pen, taping on different colours, seeing them in the place of the yellow lines of the suit design.

“I like the green,” a high-pitch, sleepy voice said behind me. Spinning around I saw Dean stand it the door with a bear in his hands.

“Dean?” I asked, opening my arms. A smile spread over my lips as he walked over to me, looking awake, yet having tired eyes. “Why are you up so early?” I asked softly.

He got on-top of my lap, resting his head on my chest. “I heard you walk downstairs, and I wanted to come and help mommy with mommy’s work.”

I smiled, moving his hair out of his face. “Well, I do need help actually. I don’t know what colour I want my suit.”

I spun my chair to move in front of my table again, looking at the screen. Dean immediately pointed at the green circle. With a smile I took my pen, tapping on the green, causing the yellow lines turn green.

“Like this?” I asked, pointing to the shocking green lights on the design.

Slowly Dean shook his head.

“Darker?” I asked, lowering the brightness of the green.

Dean nodded and smiled brightly.

“Okay then!” I double tapped on the screen with the pen, before setting it down. “Let’s go switch the colours!”

Quickly Dean hopped off my lap and ran to stand in front of my suit. With aa smile I walked over to him and picked him up, making him sit around my waist.

“Do you want to do the honours?” I asked, looking at Dean’s excited smile.

He nodded his head without hesitation, making me laugh. I leaned a bit forward, close enough for Dean to press lightly on the suit, just under the belt.

The yellow lights suddenly faded from yellow to green, moving from the bottom to up looking like liquid. I sure managed to make that look cool.

“Well done baby,” I said cheerfully, pulling him to sit up again. He laughed, clapping his hands.

“Nice colour,” Emrys said from the door. I turned around, seeing his eyes brightly on Dean and I.

“Our little lost boy picked it for mommy,” I said, looking at Dean with a smile. “How about Uncle Emrys takes you for a bath? Can he do that?” I asked Dean, seeing a little bit of dirt from last night still on his cheek.

With a small nod from Dean I handed him over to Emrys, who carried him out the room and up the stairs to the bathroom. I could hear them draw a bath.

I returned to my seat, where I slipped my wrist under the screen again, returning the screen to float above my arm. I stood up, walking to stand in front of the suit. I scrolled through the weaponry in search for the tags.

When I found it, I opened the colour settings, changing them to beige. Quickly I tapped on the colour options for the knives and changed them to dark green. I smiled with satisfaction at the finalized design in front of my eyes. I double tapped the screen before turning my wrist around, causing the screen to disappear.

In a rush I ran upstairs into my bedroom, where I slipped into my bathroom and jumped through the shower, where I washed my hair. I jumped out, dried my hair, and slipped on a basic pair of jeans and a loose, dark green shirt. I slipped into the kitchen, seeing Emrys make Dean a salad.

I always had to leave for work on days I didn’t want to?!

“You leaving again?” Dean asked, followed by a small pout.

I gave a small pout back, making him giggle. “Unfortunately. But just for some groceries.”
Dean looked at the salad, before taking a bite of a tomato. “Where is mommy going today for work?” he asked, making me look at him in disbelief.

“What did I tell you yesterday? Don’t do that!” I gave him a quick kiss on his forehead, making him laugh. I turned my attention to Emrys and smiled. “No stress. I’ll be back in no time.”

I trampled back into my own lab and snatched the necklace off from around the suit, causing it to suddenly disappear. I wrapped the necklace around my neck, throwing my loose hair back down.

“Bye mommy!” Dean yelled as I opened the front door.

“Bye baby!” I yelled back before stepping outside. I closed the door and smelled the fresh air. It was already just past eight. The sun had already risen, and the air was starting to cool down.

Running into the garage, I grabbed my bike, hopping up. I started it, hearing its roar echo through the garage. I drove off, doing a causal check up on all the monitors, camera’s, and beams around the house. After seeing them all working, I drove off out of the woods and into the city.