9

I snuck out of the closet, rushing downstairs to the kitchen. Natasha and Wanda were sitting at a table talking.

"Hi guys," I smiled, trotting to the fridge.

"So, Amber," Wanda said, walking over to me with a smile. "How about us three, go for brunch?" she asked, leaning against the counter

"I'm down," I said pulling out a bottle of water.

Natasha smiled and stood up. "I know this wonderful café down the street," she said giving a side smile.

The next thing I remember is us three walking into a small coffee shop and ordering omelettes. We sat down at a round table against the wall. The shop wasn't very busy, but there was only one waitress.

"So, what's the deal with dating?" I asked, stirring my coffee.

Natasha smiled, taking a sip of her coffee. "Someone already caught your eye, I see the hickey?" she asked, sending Wanda into giggles.

"No," I lied, putting my teaspoon down and my hand on my neck. "Like, how didn't you two pull the guys yet?" I asked before taking a sip of my coffee, accidentally burning myself.

Natasha smiled at my clumsiness, before replying to my question. "What do you mean by that?" she asked, not actually answering me.

"Like, how are the guys not all over you two? You two are badass," I complimented, before I burned myself with my coffee, again. "Ouch, okay maybe I should wait for that to cool down," I put down my coffee, crossing my arms on the table.

"Well, Tony made this stupid dating rule!" Wanda said, looking at me. "He doesn't like that people in the team date each other. It puts to many feelings in the way. We can date one another, but he chooses that we don't," she added, before drinking her coffee.

"He says it's too big of a risk when it comes to missions," Natasha said sounding like she hated the rule. I looked down at my cup, seeing my own reflection.

"Has someone already caught your eye?" Wanda asked, giving me a slight smirk.

I looked back up, noticing her devious, secretive smile. "No." I lied, giving a secretive smile back.

Natasha chuckled. "Okay then. If you had to choose. Which one of the men would you choose," she asked, grabbing me by surprise.

I looked her, not knowing what to say as an answer. Of course I'd say Bucky, but that would just make suspicion. And yet the others were alright. "Uhm, do I have to answer that question?" I asked, tracing the rim of the coffee cup with my fingers.

"Well, yes," Wanda said, a pause between the two words. He giggled, looking at my debating face. "Come on. There has to be at least one out of them all?" she joked.

"Well, if I have no choice. Steve maybe?" I said, not thinking twice.

A smile spread on Wanda's face. "Steve Rogers?" she asked, looking at Natasha. I was stupid. Why was I so god damn stupid?

"You know, maybe we could set you two up?" Natasha said, giving me a flirtish smirk.

Confused I looked at her, giving a smile and a chuckle. "What? No! If I had to choose. Not that I want him," I said, jumping in my defence. "I am not looking for a boyfriend now. I am focused on work." I said, picking up my cooled coffee.

"Yeah sure" Wanda laughed. "What is your job anyways?" she asked, quite curious.

"Oh, I'm actually Tony's assistant," I said, before drinking my coffee.

"But what does he mean by recruit?" Natasha asked.

I put my cup down, sighing. "Well. When I went for the interview I went for assistant. Somehow Tony figured that I'd make a great recruit, I guess? I don't know. I'm not good at fighting, mostly at technology." I said.

"So, your just an assistant then?" Natasha laughed.

"Yup," I said, looking at her.

Suddenly my mind blew past Natasha who was speaking, to four boys who sat in the back of the café whistling. They were clearly around 15 and skipping school. They started laughing and nudging on a boy, who picked up a red apple. I stared at them, not listening to Natasha and Wanda rant off about how I should get a boyfriend. The boy with the apple stood up and grew a grin on his face.

In one movement he threw the apple, supposed to fly past me. I immediately threw my hand in the air, catching the apple on time. Natasha stopped talking and looked at me, noticing my focus was not on her. Wanda smiled, along with half of the café.

"Excuse me?" I asked the boys while standing up. Suddenly all eyes fell on me, and the boys started laughing. "Oh, this is funny, ain't it?" I asked frowning.

One of the boys smiled. "Well yeah, now we have your attention too," he joked, looking at his friends like he was proud of himself.

"The waiter is busy with another table. If your terrible whistling and cat calling her didn't help, why throw an apple?" I asked, holding the apple in the air.

"Well, we still got a hot chick's attention, good enough for me," the same boy joked again, sticking his tongue out like a crazy person.

I smiled and picked up my coffee cup, taking the last few sips. "Amber?" Natasha asked, noticing the grin on my face. "What are you doing?"

I smiled and put the cup down on the floor next to me, earning confused faces from everyone around me. "So, let me guess. You guys are, 14, 15? And you're not in school? So you're ditching? Okay," I said, holding the apple next to me again. "Let's say you four are this apple. This edible apple," I smiled. "Well, not actually. You guys are."

I paused. I squeezed the apple, making all the juice fall out into the cup on the floor, making the apple now a thin, worthless stem.

"This apple. Something no one wants, because your worthless," I smiled, making all the boys' smiles disappear. "Now get out of this fucking café, before I turn you into this apple," I smiled, making the boys grab their things and skedaddle.

Natasha smiled as I sat down. "Not a good fighter huh?" she asked, lifting an eyebrow.

"That was verbal," I corrected, putting the cup on the table.

"No, the catch of the apple," Wanda added, making me scoff. "I'd miss," she said, leaning back in her chair.

"Here," the waiter said, placing down our food. "Thank you so much," she smiled, grateful.

"Oh darling, don't thank me," I said, my voice becoming a lot sweeter, more caring, and gentle. "No, they are stupid boys. Don't steer yourself to boys like that," I said smiling up at her. She smiled and walked away, leaving us with our food.

"We need you on the team!" Natasha said, starting to cut her food.

"Maybesome other day," I said, ending the conversation.