55

Meanwhile, the wind blew cold through the air, sending the nice New York breeze back onto my skin. The roads were empty, and most shops were closed. Sundays were never busy, and at night's they were more silent than ever.

The Park was dark, with mostly only streetlights that made a little light. It was peaceful and fresh. The benches were clean and freshly coated with new paint, the trees were well-maintained. The fountains were full of water and the flowers were blooming.

I jogged down the pathways and through the park, enjoying the dark. It was nice being outside the compound for a while and not having someone around me. I was getting tired of the grey walls and satin sheets. I ran out the park and back into the streets, seeing almost only two cars driving. What a shame that so few people would only leave their homes at this time. It was actually refreshing. I jogged around the corner, immediately running into someone, stumbling to the ground. I opened my eyes, seeing a familiar face under me. Immediately I puzzled together who they were, I tried jumping up. Unfortunately the were a step-in front of me and swung me over, pushing me against the cold pavement.

"What do you want now?" I asked bluntly, staring up at his brown hair. I glared at the one and only, Baron.

"Now? How harsh darling?" he laughed. "It was an accident, you see. You ran into me-"

"And you don't ever come out of nowhere," I interrupted, glaring at him. "What do you want Baron?"

He sighed but kept me pinned down. "I want you to come with me," he whispered, making me chuckle.

"We've been over this before. No." I tried pulling myself away, but he pushed harder, making me sigh and rest my head on the floor.

"Melion, you're in danger, and so am I," he said, making me raise an eyebrow. "My dad-"

"Doesn't know I'm here," I interrupted. "Baron, I thought you cleared me out months ago!" I said, feeling his grip loosen.

"Melion, trust me I tried. But he got a call from someone saying you were alive and in NYC again-"

"Hydra did a good job finding their witch?" I interrupted, waiting for his grip to loosen just a bit more.

"Hydra has spies everywhere Melion. Brooke noticed you at the compound and-"

"You're kidding me right?" I laughed, looking up at the starry sky. "Oh my god, Brooke. Of course."

Baron sighed, loosening his hands a little more. I smiled, immediately pushing myself up and pushing Baron down to lay under me. I sat on his stomach, before grabbing a pocketknife from inside my shoe and pressing it against his throat. He grunted, throwing his head back.

"Now, what do you fucking want Baron?" I asked firmly.

"My dad knows how you look. He knows you died your hair; got piercings and he now knows you live at the compound. I have to get you to safety!" he looked at me, who wasn't bothered at all. "Melion, god sakes. Wont you ever listen to me?" he asked, his voice frustrated.

"I can take care of myself Baron. I don't need you," I said, keeping my position. "I have a family here, I can't just-"

"What family?" he interrupted with an insulted tone. He gave a chuckle. "Melion, these people aren't your family!"

I scoffed. "What the hell Baron? They are my family. They are there for me when-"

"When what?" he yelled, making me flinch. "They are liars! They don't care. They never did!" I raised my eyebrows, feeling insulted. This wasn't true! Baron is the liar. "They're manipulative and the fact that you are still around is hilarious! You're really convinced that they still care after what they did?!"

I stared at him in confusion, disbelief of what he was saying. "Baron, what are you talking about?" I asked, my voice firm, but scared.

Within seconds his face changed from enjoyment to confusion. "You don't know?" he questioned, before actually realizing that I was more lost than ever.

"Baron, what the hell are you talking about?" I asked, taking a step forward.

He stood completely frozen, not knowing what to say. "Melion, do you really not know?" he asked, suddenly more scared than ever.

"Baron!" I yelled, taking another step forward. "What the fuck did they do?" I asked calmer, tears forming in my eyes.

He took a second, hesitating as first. Eventually he swallowed. "They sold you out to the government. You and Wanda," he whispered.

I froze. Baron was lying. They'd never. Ever! I mean, they made me one of their own. They made me their family. I became an avenger. If this was because we were part of Hydra, many others were supposed to be taken by the government as well. Natasha and Bucky? What about them? They were also part of Hydra once. Almost every one of us were. What happened?

I shook my head in denial. "No," I said, my voice hovering as my eyes filled with water. "No. Baron they wouldn't-"

"I have it on video Melion!" he said, grabbing my shoulders.

My eyes were zoned out, lost. I was in denial, disbelief. They would never have!