59

His smile made me laugh as he ran through the house yelling with laughter. He was being chased by Emrys, who dressed up as a pirate while he dressed up as Peter Pan. He had a bag of glitter wrapped around his waist with boots that matched the wooden floors. Emrys ran with a cardboard sword and an eye patch, his hair messy under a pirate hat.

“Tinkerbell! I need to fly!” Dean yelled as he suddenly jumped on the couch, ready to leap over.

In character I jumped up, running towards this flying boy, while in heels. “I’m coming Peter!” I yelled in a high pitch voice, right before Dean leaped off the couch into the air.

I caught him just in time before he fell to the ground. With my hands around his waist I flew him up into the air, spinning him around.

“No! He’s getting away!” Emrys yelled while getting to a holt at the kitchen door. “Men, get him!” he yelled, before the three Labradors rushed into the room, running after me and Dean. They had cute little eyepatches just above their eyes as they chased us into the living room, where we jumped on the couch. All three dogs were boys.

“You won’t get us!” Dean yelled jokingly. I laughed, placing him down on the couch, where he stood like a superhero. “Leave Captain hook, for I will not give you the sparkle dust!”

In act, Emrys fell to his knees, dropping his sword. “Peter, please. All I want to do is fly off to the northern star!” he pleaded, making a weird puppy-dog face.

Dean laughed. “No Captain hook! The dust is mine!”

I swooped Dean off his feet and into the air, causing him to laugh. “Okay, enough now boys!” I said, dropping Dean to his feet again. “Now let’s go! Before we miss the Halloween fair and trick or treating!”

I looked at the dogs, seeing the one busy biting down on one of my shoes.

Fuck! I had to put them away.

“Don’t swear mommy!” Dean said, tilting his head.

“No!” I said turning to him. “What did I tell you? Don’t- don’t do that again, okay?”

Shyly Dean nodded, making me sigh, but I quickly grew a smile, making him smile again I took Deans hand and leaded him to the door, where I handed him his trick-or-treating bucket. It looked like a barrel, which Emrys had painted earlier this week. Emrys opened the door for us, and we stepped outside, looking into the woods. The sun was still up, but not high. It was minutes away from starting to set. The three dogs ran outside after us, and they all had leashes on that. Emrys somehow managed to slip on. He locked the house and we slowly started to walk down the dirt road.

-----

Dean was more excited than Emrys and I together, and pulled me forward, forcing me to walk faster in my high heels. Trust me, it was hard enough running through the house with a four-year-old as it is.

We eventually reached the entrance of the neighbourhood, seeing kids run into the maze. Mothers stood at pumpkins and haybales as their kids ran around chasing each other.

Emrys, Dean and I had just moved back to NYC three months ago. It was hard for me, but I knew I’d have to come back eventually. I had met a few young mothers in the supermarket once, and they insisted on me coming to this fare-thing. It was Halloween after all, and I wouldn’t allow my kid to stay home. That would have been no fun.

We stepped in, and immediately I noticed Cara, Rosemary and Aria. They noticed me as well, and called us over, making it impossible to stay aside. With smiled, we walked over to them, Dean still having a tight grip to my hand. He hadn’t had a friend yet, ever, so he only had Emrys and I. he never questioned anything about a father, and boy was I glad. I knew eventually he would, but I wouldn’t want to care about that soon.

“Ah, Melion!” Cara said, giving me a big hug. “I was wondering when you’d show up!” she gave me a kiss on my cheek and smiled at me before I gave Rosemary and Aria a hug as well.

“Sorry,” I apologized as I stood back straight. “We played a little wonderland in the house,” I laughed, looking down at Dean and his messy blond hair under his green beanie.

Rosemary smiled wide, while bending down to Dean. “And how old are you little guy?” she asked with a bright smile.

Dean quickly moved behind me, tightening his hand. I laughed. “He’s four.”

Rosemary smiled. “Well, then it won’t be long before I become your teacher!” she stood back up, and with that her long black hair fell into her face, covering her left, hazel eye. “We’re really glad you made it, and in costume!” She looked me up and down, observing my green, short shirt with my white crop top. “Really keeping it young?” she joked, making us all laugh.

“This is Emrys,” I introduced while taking a step aside, gesturing to my brother. Cara smiled, taking a step forward.

“You must be the father?” she questioned, giving her hand out.

Never has Emrys’s face turned so red. “No! Oh god. No way,” he said quickly, followed by a fake chuckle. “I’m Melion’s triplet. I’m the uncle.”

Cara went red of embarrassment. “I’m so sorry! I had no idea that she had a brother.”

Her words moved faster through her lips than any object disappeared through my portals.

“It’s really fine!” I said, a smile on my lips. “Dean’s father is- currently somewhere else. He’s not currently in our lives.”