128

Chapter 128 Protecting Her

Aylin’s fingers gently paused around Steve’s hand, her expression tinged with complexity.

She knew that Steve genuinely loved her as a daughter-in-law, and his affection for her was truly

heartfelt.

If it were the her from the past, she would have been overjoyed.

Now that she has regained her memory, she is no longer willing to be that humble housewife who bows her head and loses her self-esteem for love.

Aylin whispered softly, “Grandpa Steve, I appreciate your kindness, but I just don’t have feelings for him anymore.”

The past three years seem to have been like a dream.

The furnishings and decorations in the Delacruz’s home remained unchanged, but she was no longer a part of this family.

Things have changed, and so have we. With a hint of emotion in her voice, Aylin said, “Maybe we really aren’t meant to be together. You’ve seen how we’ve been getting along these past three years, Grandpa Steve. We’ve already held each other back for so long, and now my life is slowly getting back on track. Forcing something that isn’t meant to be will never make it sweet, and I’m sure you understand that, Grandpa Steve.”

How could one not understand?

Steve looked deeply into Aylin’s eyes, his wrinkled face sagging, unable to hide the overwhelming

sense of desolation.

He let out a long sigh, “It seems you’ve made up your mind. Poor Gavyn, he’s just not fortunate

enough to continue living this life with you.”

Steve rubbed his forehead, “Forget it, let’s not talk about that. Aylin, you haven’t told me when you learned to drive?”

“Oh, this? I am-”

Aylin was just about to answer with a smile when, halfway through her sentence, there came a knock on the door from outside.

Alfred respectfully said, “Old Mr. Delacruz, Mrs. Haleigh Delacruz, and Ms. Delacruz have returned and are waiting outside.”

Steve’s face darkened, and he snorted, “So they finally decided to come back! Let them all in, and tell that rascal Gavyn to get in here too!”

Yes.

With permission granted, Alfred turned and led Haleigh and her two children into the house.

The door creaked open, and Carmen, with a worried expression, rushed, in first. “Grandpa, you walked so fast, you had me worried to death! How are you?”

However, she had barely taken two steps when her legs, clad in high heels, felt as if they were filled with lead, stiffening and freezing in place.

Suddenly, a furious roar erupted.

“How did you get here?”

“Who’s there? Stop shouting and making a fuss.”

Following closely behind, Haleigh frowned and said, “You’re a well-bred young lady, after all. Try to be more composed and don’t make a fuss about everything-”

Suddenly, she saw Aylin.

“How did you get here?” She exclaimed in surprise, even louder than Carmen, glaring at Aylin with a hostile gaze.

Aylin seemed as if she hadn’t noticed at all, her demeanor elegant, still smiling and chatting with

Steve, relaxed as if she were the host.

In an instant, anger surged within Haleigh’s heart.

Even though she doesn’t like Laila now, it doesn’t stop her from equally despising Aylin. Both of them are the kind of people who will do anything for money and are full of lies!

Not to mention, this unsophisticated bumpkin even dares to repeatedly defy her!

Haleigh’s anger surged from within, her voice sharp and piercing, “Aylin, who gave you permission to come in? Get out of here right now!”

“Shut up!”

With a clang, Steve struck his new cane, his sharp gaze full of authority. “Stop shouting! I invited Aylin here, and if anyone has a problem with her, they can leave. I won’t tolerate any screaming!”

Haleigh had always been somewhat fearful of her father-in-law. Back when Aylin was still married, she would constantly bully his daughter-in-law. Many times, it was Steve who had to step in and teach him a lesson.

At this moment, she didn’t dare to argue back after being scolded. She could only grit her teeth and mumble softly, “This isn’t even her house, and I can’t even speak my mind…”

However, with just one glare from Steve, she completely shut her mouth, reluctantly backing down from her stance.

Haleigh, as a daughter-in-law, was afraid of being scolded by her father-in-law, but Carmen was not. She looked at Aylin with extreme disgust, her arms crossed, and couldn’t help but sneer.

Even though Laila’s deception left her extremely dissatisfied, and that woman had long been nailed to the pillar of shame in her heart, there was still one thing she didn’t get wrong.

Aylin was materialistic and scheming, indeed the most likely person to expose Laila’s dark secrets out of jealousy!

It could very well be her doing, exposing the family’s dirty laundry for all the wedding guests to see, causing the entire Delacruz family to lose face together!

The more Carmen thought about it, the more she felt it was right!

The thought of this woman causing the Delacruz family to lose face, and not knowing how much crisis management it would take to cover it up, made Carmen extremely frustrated.

“Grandpa, why are you defending her!”

Carmen rudely pointed at Aylin with a disdainful look, “She’s nothing but a scheming, envious country girl! Even after divorcing my brother, she can’t stand to see the Delacruz family doing well. She’s jealous of Laila, and today’s incident might just be her doing, taking revenge on the Delacruz

family!

Hmph, a woman with such malicious intentions doesn’t deserve to enter the Delacruz residence!”

Although Haleigh didn’t dare to speak up, she kept nodding vigorously in agreement on the side!

Steve’s face darkened, and it seemed like he was about to explode with anger.

“Enough!”

Gavyn, who had been silent all along, finally spoke up. His icy gaze swept over the imposing

Carmen, “She didn’t do this.”