55

Chapter 55 Un

It this check will be yours.

The man slid the agreement in front of Haleigh.

The agreement simply states that If one cannot deliver the item within three days, they are required to pay a tenfold penalty for breach of contract.

Without hesitation, Haleigh swiftly wrote down the name with a flourish.

How could she possibly not be able to hand in just a painting!

After collecting the check, Haleigh headed straight to Gavyn’s mansion.

She knew he wouldn’t be home at this time, but it was strange. That painting wasn’t worth much, yet no matter how hard she searched, she couldn’t find it.

Haleigh never expected Gavyn to come home early. She was still rummaging through the study when she heard the noise.

“Mom, what are you doing here?”

.

In the study, Haleigh, who was going through the bookcase, felt her heart sk*p a beat. She hurriedly smiled at Gavyn and then turned to tidy up the books she had accidentally knocked askew earlier.

“Oh dear, I saw that your study was messy, so I thought I’d help you tidy it up.”

Gavyn’s gaze swept over his mother, and with a calm expression, he loosened his tie and sat down on the couch. “Just tell me, what are you looking for?”

Tidy up the study.

Such a lame excuse could only be uttered by Haleigh.

His study has never been as messy as it is now.

“Oh dear, I just wanted to help you tidy up a bit,” Haleigh said, realizing she had been found out. Feeling embarrassed, she sat down across from Gavyn.

“Son, I remember that after the last auction, you brought home a painting. I didn’t get a chance to take a close look at it then, so I thought I’d come and see it today.”

Gavyn raised his eyes, and the look he gave Haleigh carried a touch of coldness.

“What are you looking at that painting for?”

“Of course I like it! How about this, you give me that painting, and I’ll take it home to appreciate it properly. That way, I won’t be bothering you here anymore.”

Haleigh never imagined that her son would be so adamant in his refusal.

Chapter 55 Uncovering the Truth

36.33%

No, I need that pale

Naturally, Haleigh felt a bit displeased. After all, she wasn’t just some outsider; it was just a painting. Was there really a need for such a reaction?

“What’s the matter with you, child? I’m your mother! It’s just a painting, and you won’t even give it to me? I’ve raised you all these years, and this is how you treat me?”

Haleigh slammed her hand on the table, “I must have this painting today! If you don’t give it to me, I won’t leave! I originally just wanted to admire it and then return it to you. But now, I’m curious to see what kind of magic this painting holds that has made you so heartless!”

Haleigh spoke and began rummaging through the study again.

She couldn’t believe it. How could such a large painting be hidden from sight?

Gavyn didn’t make any unnecessary movements, his gaze remained fixed on Haleigh. The light cast on his face created a shadow, and the darkness in his eyes seemed bottomless.

Haleigh searched the entire study but couldn’t find the painting.

With a hint of defiance, she plopped herself down on the ground.

“If you don’t give me that painting today, I’m not getting up!”

Gavyn rubbed his aching temples, his voice devoid of any warmth, “Tell me, how much did you sell this painting for?”

Haleigh’s body suddenly stiffened. How could Gavyn possibly notice what she had been doing so flawlessly all these days?

“What are you saying? I… I don’t understand!”

No sooner had the words left her mouth than Haleigh found herself shivering involuntarily, as she

met Gavyn’s icy, all-seeing gaze.

She knew she couldn’t hide it any longer, so she had to tell the truth. “Gavyn, I also spent all my money at the last auction, and I had no choice… I just met an owner who likes paintings, and that owner said he wanted a certain… a certain picture. I thought with all the paintings you have,

missing one wouldn’t matter, so I agreed.”

As Haleigh spoke these words, tears had already begun to fall from her

eyes.

She’s truly wronged!

Did Mrs. Delacruz ever imagine she would end up in such a predicament?

She really doesn’t want to do something that demeans herself!

Chapter 55 Uncovering the Truth

36.50%

Gavyn spoke coldly, “What mapi”

Haleigh choked back tears, thought for a long time, and said, “I think it’s called something like

seat

“Overview of the Sea?”

“Right!”

As Haleigh’s words fell, the temperature in the room suddenly dropped to freezing!