81

Chapter 81 Brake Failure

When Robert was young, his greatest wish was to have a little sister.

Unfortunately for the Gardner family’s three boys, the youngest one completely lost his chance to

be an older brother.

The birth of Aylin completely fulfilled his dream of becoming a big brother. Robert doted on his little sister immensely. In his life, there were two most important things: one was car racing, and

the other was his sister!

Cherishing Aylin had become a responsibility, a habit, a subconscious action that he would naturally do without much thought.

Robert squinted his eyes and playfully threatened, “If you don’t behave, I’ll take away all your limited edition Barbie dolls!”

Upon hearing this, Aylin couldn’t help but laugh helplessly.

She had long outgrown the age of playing with Barbie dolls, and she knew that Robert was just showing his concern for her.

It’s not true to remain unmoved.

So she pretended to be scared and said, “Robert, you’re so cruel! How could you take away my Barbie doll? Can you bear to see me sad?”

Robert, being scrupulous, crossing his arms and lightly humming, “Hiding things from Robert’ when something happens, you definitely deserve some light punishment. Besides, what am I compared to them? If Willie and Harry knew you had suffered so much, they would probably turn New York upside down. They were the ones who assigned me this task, and if they knew I didn’t take good care of you, they would definitely give me a hard time…”

In the middle of the conversation, Robert suddenly paused.

What the heck, what did he just say?

I’ve blurted out the things that I shouldn’t say about!

Even though Harry had promised Aylin not to tell Willie about her affairs, he did.

Robert’s face turned awkward, and he quickly tried to make amends. “Aylin, let me explain. Over the years, Willie and Harry have been genuinely worried about you. I couldn’t bear to see them still immersed in pain, so-”

Aylin smiled faintly, “I know.”

Robert was dumbfounded, “Huh?”

“I’ve known all along that this secret couldn’t be kept. If you, Robert, could actually keep your mouth shut, now that would be unscientific.”

Aylin chuckled softly, knowing she could never really be mad at her brothers. After all, their actions. were out of love and care for her. She just didn’t want them to worry, and she wouldn’t fuss over such trivial matters.

Robert scratched his head with a grin, “Oh, Aylin guessed it already? Our Aylin is so smart, it’s like she’s psychic. That’s right, I’m very pleased!”

Aylin glanced at him, the laughter in her eyes blooming like flowers on a flourishing branch.

It seemed just like their carefree childhood days when she would visit the Gardner residence to play. Every time, Robert would always tell her all kinds of jokes.

The young girl giggled uncontrollably, falling into Robert’s arms. Robert would always ruffle her fluffy hair and say, “Our Aylin is so adorable.”

No matter when, her older brothers would always be by her side, providing her with the strength and confidence to keep moving forward.

The atmosphere gradually warmed up, and as Daniel listened from behind, his heart also began to

relax.

He leaned on the handle and stood up.

Before they could even settle in, suddenly, the previously steady speed of the car abruptly increased. The needle on the steering wheel went wild, and they took a sharp turn.

The three people inside the car, all buckled up, were swayed back and forth by the sudden jolt!

Robert blurted out, “What the heck?”

He looked at Aylin in surprise. Hadn’t he already calmed her emotions? Why was she still driving so aggressively?

Robert brushed back his slightly messy bangs and exclaimed, “Aylin, your unexpected move would be hard for anyone to handle, even on a racetrack!”

“It’s not any kind of trick.”

Aylin’s expression was calm, and her tone was even, but the words she spoke were like a thunderbolt thrown onto the surface of a lake, “The brakes have failed.”

“The foot brake malfunctioned?”

Robert, who deals with cars, suddenly felt alarm bells ringing in his heart. He immediately leaned over to pull the handbrake.

To their surprise, when they tried to pull it, they discovered that even the rarely used handbrake was broken!

Robert’s face suddenly changed, “Aylin, has anyone else driven this car before?”

“Other than my assistant, there’s no one else I trust” Aylin pondered for a moment. “Just the other day, I took the car to the auto shop for maintenance. The owner and I are old acquaintances, so if there were any issues with the car, he would definitely inform me right away.”

That leaves only one possibility!

The siblings’ gazes met, exchanging a look of certainty. Someone must have tampered with this

car!

Sitting in the back seat, Daniel heard it and jolted upright, suddenly wide awake. His face turned serious and gloomy.

Someone wants to harm Aylin?

Who has such malicious intentions?

Someone sneezed.

This was Hanson’s third sneeze in a row, and he grumbled, “What the heck, why do I keep

sneezing!”

Lexie quickly tucked the blanket around him, “The air conditioning in this hospital is too cold, and I don’t know where the remote control is. I just spoke to the nurse, and they’ll come over soon to

adjust it for you.”

The cold air from the air conditioner couldn’t alleviate Hanson’s inner anxiety; instead, it only

made him feel more irritable.

He was waiting for an important phone call.

I didn’t even have time for lunch, for fear of missing out!

“Why is she taking so long!” Hanson complained.

Lexie clicked her tongue, clearly a bit displeased. Just as she was about to chime in with a few words, the quiet phone on the bedside table suddenly began to vibrate urgently.

Hanson’s eyes lit up as he quickly swiped to answer the call, “Hello? How did things go?”