Dorothea X Reader- The flirting (Request)

Request: Kitsunegoddes_Selkie
Warnings: None
Word count: 730
Gender: Gender neutral
Additional Info: None

Hey guys! I probably won't be able to post as much now that school started, but I'll try my best to post once or twice a month- maybe even more if I feel like it, we'll see.
Anyways, enjoy!

"What's up with the dress?"

"This?" Dorothea pointed at the dress she was wearing, before adjusting her hair, "I'm going out tonight."

(Y/N) felt a bit stupid for asking, because at this point, they should've realized that when Dorothea got dressed in fancier clothes, it was always for a date.

"It looks nice," they muttered with a smile, "I mean- You always look nice."

Dorothea chuckled before letting out a sigh, "I always try to look good- And if he's too much of an idiot to realize how much care and time I put into looking good for him, then he's not worth it."

She then smirked, "I'll find myself someone better- Someone like you," she looked at them with teasing eyes, "Or you, actually."

(Y/N) blushed at the unexpected 'confession', but when Dorothea followed it with a laugh, they realized that it was all a joke and blushed even harder at their naïveté.

Right, they kept forgetting that Dorothea always liked embarrassing and, well... flirting with them.

Of course, it meant nothing- But still, it hurt just a little.

~~~~~~~~~•~~~~~~~~~

The next day, as the students were beginning to settle down and pull out their school supplies, Dorothea came in and sat down next to (Y/N) with a loud huff.

(Y/N), surprised, looked at her. Dorothea looked back at them and displayed a crooked smile, before drowning again.

"How did the date go?"

Dorothea sighed, "Awful. He was so rude! And so... so..." The words were escaping her. Dorothea groaned, leaning against the back of her chair, exhausted.

"I'm sorry to hear that," (Y/N) awkwardly muttered, unsure what else to say, "Is their anything you want me to do to make you feel a little better?"

Dorothea glanced back at them, yet remained quiet, lost in thought, until she finally smirked.

"Maybe going on a date with me would make me feel better," and she laughed, but (Y/N) was not amused.

They sighed and frowned, seemed slightly annoyed this time. Dorothea noticed but before she could ask anymore questions, class had already begun.

~~~~~~~~~•~~~~~~~~~

(Y/N) was already leaving when the class ended. Dorothea had to run after them and catch up.

"(Y/N)!"

(Y/N) stopped and sighed as they waited for Dorothea to come up to them.

"What?" They sounded slightly sad and a bit tired.

"You... You just seemed pretty sad in there... I wanted to know what's wrong- I didn't say anything to upset you, did I?"

She sounded so worried and sorry, that it was difficult for (Y/N) to hide the actual truth.

"I... It's just... I'd prefer if..."

"If?"

"If you stopped flirting with me so much," they muttered, embarrassed.

Dorothea, shocked, raised her brows, "What? Does it bother you that much? I'm only teasing you..."

"It hurts, Dorothea- Because..." Their cheeks grew red, "Goddess! I thought I'd be able to face you and say it at last but I really can't!"

"Say it! Say it!" She chanted, at this point, begging them to tell her what was going on. Why did it hurt when she flirted with them?

"Because I love you!"

Dorothea was too stunned to speak.

(Y/N) was too ashamed to speak.

They just stood there, gaping at each other.

Finally, the truth was out.

"It's... You're kind of playing with my heart... You know? When you keep flirting with me like this... When on the side, you're with someone else every other night. It would've been nice if you just didn't say anything at all, instead of playing with me like this- back and forth," they finally admitted, embarrassed and unsure how the truth was going to play out for Dorothea.

Dorothea, shocked, looked at them with such honesty that it was difficult to stay mad at her even a little, "I'm so sorry... I didn't know- I should've known."

She was embarrassed herself.

"The reason I did this, I suppose, is because... I think that, deep down, no matter how many times I went out with other guys, it was you I wanted all along."

(Y/N) remained quiet.

"Does that help ease the pain?"

"It... Yeah, it does," (Y/N), relieved and happy, finally smiled for the first time that day, "I am. That erases the pain, even," they joked.

And finally, the two of them laughed- For real, this time.