Claude X Reader- Hopes revived (Request)

Request: @ReinMoira2000
Warnings: None
Word count: 1396
Gender: Male
Additional info: (F/N) {Fiancée/Name}

I tried to write the whole crashing the wedding and confessing scene but I wasn't sure how to make it fit in with the rest of the oneshot so instead, I wrote something a little more different, which seemed a little more personal and less grand.
Anyways, enjoy!

Claude and (Y/N) had been excellent friends for years, ever since they were young, and little by little, (Y/N) grew more and more fond of his friend until Claude became his crush- And it lasted for years.

Oddly enough, (Y/N) was sure Claude liked him back too. Friends and family noticed Claude's mannerisms around (Y/N) and would tell him about it, and (Y/N) believed them wholeheartedly.

He patiently awaited for Claude to confess, heart soaring with excitement.

But that day never came.

The school days came to an end, followed by the war, and nothing happened. Yet (Y/N) still held onto that hope.

(Y/N) hadn't heard anything about his friend since, regarding his love life, until Hilda one day came to pay a visit...

~~~~~~~~~•~~~~~~~~~

"It must've taken you a couple of days to get here, Hilda," (Y/N) said, seating down in front of her, "I hope you didn't come here to announce something too important."

Hilda was much more silent then usual, and was acting a little off. She wasn't sure how to start.

(Y/N) frowned m, a little concerned by Hilda's behavior, "You're acting awfully strange, Hilda. It can't be that bad," he chuckled, "Well, maybe it is- It must be quite the news if you seem so serious about it, but whatever it is, I'm sure I will-"

"Claude... Claude's getting married, (Y/N)."

His face went pale. It sounded surreal.

"I'm sorry- What?"

"I know... I didn't believe it either- I always thought that you- Well, it's in the past now. Claude wanted to tell you in person, but I wanted to tell you first, because I knew that you wouldn't take it well. And with the marriage happening soon, neither of us need things to go downhill."

"You're being ridiculous! I know how to handle myself, Hilda!"

"No  "No, you can't. It's difficult to keep a love for someone else hidden. You'd never be able to do that forever no matter how hard you'd try."

(Y/N) knew that she was right, but it felt terrible to admit it.

"Who is he marrying anyway?"

Hilda's eyes widened. Her friend was clueless to all that was happening.

"You haven't heard? Claude is getting married to some noblewoman from Brigid- It's more of political marriage than anything... I've never met her before but she seems great from all the letters Claude has sent me."

(Y/N)'s face turned grim. He disappointed. All this time he thought that Claude would someday confess to him, and yet here he was, getting marrying to some noblewoman- How foolish he was for thinking things could work out.