Mercedes x Reader- Two dreams (Request)

Request: @Kitsunegoddes_Selkie
Warnings: None
Word count: 735
Gender: Female
Additional Info: • (Y/N) is Dimitri's sister

I loved writing this oneshot so, so much!! Subtle love is one of my favorite things to write (or actually, my favorite, now that I think about it...)!! Because YEAH, if you didn't notice, Mercedes loves... you know :))
Enjoy!

(Y/N) had always wanted to go to the Goddess Tower.

She had heard so many legends and stories about it. The only exciting part about the ball was the Goddess Tower. Couples would climb to the top and confess their love to one another. To catch a glimpse of that bliss seemed magical to (Y/N).

If only she could have the same! Someday, maybe- Someday...

~~~~~~~~~~~~•~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Dimitri, is it alright if I absent myself for a while?" (Y/N) asked, pulling her brother to the side.

"Where are you heading?" He slightly frowned, looking down at her.

"Outside for a little bit," she muttered, avoiding his gaze, "I'll come back quickly. I promise."

Dimitri sighed, "Fine, but don't wander off too much."

Relieved, the princess smiled, "I won't."

(Y/N) then ran off to the Goddess Tower. Dimitri joined the professor for a dance.

~~~~~~~~~~~~•~~~~~~~~~~~~

After climbing up the Goddess Tower, (Y/N) finally reached the top floor, and if it weren't for her discretion, she would've walked in on the couple who was already there.

She hurriedly hid behind the wall of the stairway that lead to the floor.

Behind the wall, (Y/N) could hear the confession that was happening. It was simple, clumsily said in the softest voice, but the confession was quick to cut off.

(Y/N) caught a swift glimpse of a kiss. The atmosphere altered. The girl became saddened. She sat down on the floor, resting against the wall, for a couple of good minutes, staring at the stairs. Finally, she left.

~~~~~~~~~~~~•~~~~~~~~~~~~

What got her so melancholic all of a sudden? She did. She finally saw a couple in the Goddess Tower share a blissful moment together. It was her dream.

She had hope that the same would happen to her but now that she saw that moment with her own eyes, the possibility seemed so far out of reach, not for her.

What did Destiny have in store for her?

"(Y/N)?"

When the young girl looked up from her tears, she saw Mercedes, slightly hunched over her worryingly.

"Dimitri's been looking for you," she frowned, "He's worried sick."

"I'm sorry."

Mercedes heard a couple of light sniffs. Her face altered.

She sat down next to her friend.

"Oh, dear. What's wrong?"

"Nothing," she dried her tears and tried to get up, "Let's go," but Mercedes caught her hand and pulled her down on the bench. They both sat down, her hand still in Mercedes'.

"No, no. Let's sit for a moment," she softly said, "I'm sure Dimitri can wait a little longer."

Appreciating Mercedes' sympathy, she smiled.

"Thank you."

They both sat down for a moment and said nothing, her hand still in Mercedes'. It brought a certain comfort to the princess.

"I wish I was in love," the girl finally confessed. She bit her lip as to not cry.

Her friend lightly chuckled, "I think many have that same dream. I too used to wish to be in love," she softly smiled.

"You would?"

"Is that so surprising? It's not uncommon, but of course, that doesn't make it any less of a dream. It's a beautiful dream, and if you believe hard enough and pray to the Goddess, your wish will be granted. Mine has. It's a wonderful thing, to be in love, but also painful when not reciprocated."

"I didn't know you were in love! Who is it?"

Mercedes chuckled but in her eyes laid a profound melancholy. Unfortunately, (Y/N) did not notice. It was too dark outside.

"I'll tell you... someday," she sighed, "For now, let's just hope that you will also fall in love, since that's what you want, and with the right person," she clutched her friend's hand and they both got up.

"Come on. Your brother is waiting."

Love. So Mercedes was in love! If she could be in love, if her friend could be in love, then so could she! Suddenly, the thought of her being in love didn't seem so distant after all, and who knows, maybe the right person was just around the corner.

She looked at Mercedes. Hope overtook her.

Maybe not today- But someday... Maybe, someday her dream will come true. She'll fall in love and (Y/N) hoped that Mercedes's new dream would come true as well: that the person she loved would love her back.

(Y/N) laughed. Perhaps their dreams were linked.