Hubert X Reader- You'll tell me another day (Request)

Request: @Sorachahotsauce
Genre: Light Angst/Comfort if you squint
Warnings: None
Word count: 658
Gender: Female
Additional Info: None

The reader in this is supposed to be burning letters from her abusive family, but I made the mention extremely subtle so I hope it's alright. Btw, I'm finally on my summer holidays so I'll probably be writing more!
Anyways, enjoy!

After an exhausting 'mission' away from the academy, Hubert came back late at night.

He was surely the only man up so late, which reassured him. He didn't want to have to talk to anyone until he reached his dorm room.

But a strange sound stopped him in his tracks. He could've sworn he heard someone... Sobbing? This was odd. What if it was someone dangerous? An intruder? No one was supposed to be up this late. He had to go see, despite his annoyance.

He followed the sobbing, until it grew louder and louder. He was getting close.

Finally, Hubert noticed a strange... Girl? He believed? He wasn't sure. They were standing alone, hunched over, with their back facing him. They were sobbing.

Why were they doing it here of all places? Wasn't it best for them to do it somewhere else? Somewhere more private.

He came up to her from behind, almost hovered over her.

"You shouldn't be here so late at night. I must ask you to-"

"Leave me alone, Hubert," a voice muffled by sobs said. It was a familiar voice. Where did he hear it last?

She turned around to look up at him, lips quivering and face reddened because of the tears. She waited for him to leave but he didn't, instead looking at her, eyes widened.

It was (Y/N). He knew little of her, but enough for his heart to break a little at the sight of her like this.

In a futile attempt, she tried to push him away, but (Y/N) was weak, and he stood there.

"Go, go, go!" She cried out, punching his legs, "I don't want you to see me like this..."

She tried to stifle her sobs, wiping her face clean. The girl tried to calm down but it was of no use, the tears would keep coming.

Hubert noticed a bunch of letters scattered across her, and a couple of light matches.

He picked up a letter, not without her trying to stop him by screaming. It was burnt. Many of them were.

"Hubert! Please!"

"You're burning letters?" He concernedly asked, looking down at her.

This was embarrassing for her. She wanted to be alone and here he was, judging her. She just wanted to disappear.

"Hubert... You must think me an idiot. You're judging me. I don't want to tell you," she muttered, "Enough people do it already."

"I won't judge you. I'm concerned, that is all," he said seriously.

He gave the burnt letter back.

"You don't have to tell me anything."

"You are concerned?" She seemed to be stuck still on what he said before. It shocked her, and she knew he said the truth because it was Hubert. According to her, Hubert was a very brutally honest man. She almost forgot the letter in her hands.

"I am. And I've been concerned for a while, now," he frowned, "I should've known there was something... else lying behind the faces."

"T-There is... It's-" She grabbed the burnt letters in her hands, "Those are from my family."

"And yet you're burning them."

"Yes," she tried to choke back the tears, but the reminder of them hit her so terribly that tears formed back at the corner of her eyes.

Without much control, she began crying again, as the letters dropped to the floor again.

"I-I'm so sorry... I just..."

"You'll tell me another day."

That was when she felt something odd. Hubert kneeled before her, and held her in an embrace. It was awkward, sure. He didn't know how to proceed, but (Y/N) didn't care one bit. She embraced him back so fervently that they almost fell to the ground.

"I-I'm sorry again..." She bashfully said.

"I... It's alright," Hubert muttered.

They stood like this for a while, in each other's arms, until (Y/N) get confident enough to be accompanied back to her dorm by Hubert.