Randolph X Reader- The cure (Request)

Request: @SezeSully
Warnings: None
Word count: 914
Gender: Female
Additional Info: Pre-timeskip

Hey y'all 🤡 Hum... guess who just disappeared for a whole month again.
Just finished with all my exams. I have finally entered the summer holidays (technically did a couple of days ago but I still needed to process the whole thing by doing absolutely NOTHING and maybe... maybe collecting pretty pictures of my hyperfixation on Pinterest).
I suppose y'all should expect some oneshots from me during the holidays.

OKAY SO, about the oneshot. I completely forgot Randolph existed and I'm sorry about that. I'm too lazy to look up his personality (I'm sorry) so I just... winged it. I hope it's alright.
Anyways, enjoy!

(Y/N) had been sick for years, but never did it come to this point.

It was all because of her damned crest. So many wished for one, begged to have a crest that could help them climb to a higher station and earn a brighter future, but to (Y/N), this crest was only source of illness and the more she used it, the iller and gloomier she became, knowing that one day, it would be the death of her.

So, when she enrolled at the Academy, her parents, who did not wish for their daughter to become any sicker and to accelerate her I'll-fated death, declared that she had no crest.

Nor (Y/N) or her parents understood why having a crest came with such symptoms, and for years, they had tried to seek some help from doctors and scientists, but to no avail.

In the end, they forced their daughter to swear to never use her crest's power ever again, not until a cure could be found.

"Your life is worth more than a crest. We've always wanted a child with one, it's true, but of what use is one if it kills what is most important to us, our daughter?"

~~~~~~~~•~~~~~~~~

"What happened back there?"

(Y/N) remained quiet, too embarrassed to look up at her friend, Randolph.

He sighed, was clearly nervous. He rested his hands on his hips and walked around the infirmary room.

"Why are you so quiet?"

The questions kept on coming, the more Randolph thought of the incident. It was just so bizarre. An explosion of light, almost as if it was a crest's doing- odd, since (Y/N) did not have a crest, from what she declared, at least.

"Tired. Don't worry about it," she murmured, resting her head against the pillow. She let out a sigh and closed her eyes.

She was hurt, badly.

She hadn't felt this kind of pain in so long. It was a very specific kind of pain, that only happened when she used her crest.

And (Y/N) had swore to never use it again, for her own health, but she had to.

Her friends were in danger.

She had no choice.

She could barely raise her voice, let alone explain this whole crest situation which she kept away from everyone for months, so (Y/N) simply remained quiet.

"Tired?" He frowned, "Just tired? You look as if... ten years have just been taken from you!"

She lightly chuckled, looking down at her lap, "Well, you aren't wrong."

He furrowed his brows even further, "What?"

"It's... it's complicated," she sighed, "Look, it doesn't matter, in the end. What matters is that you're fine, that everyone's fine now."

"You don't seem fine."

That's because I'm not. I'm slowly dying.

That is what (Y/N) would've liked to say, but instead, she kept quiet.

"Something happened there, and I feel like you're not telling me- us- something in particular," Randolph paced around the room, lost in thought, "You're hiding something from us. Aren't you?"

(Y/N) sighed, "You really want to know?"

"Well, of course I do."

"I... lied. I do have a crest."

His eyes widened with shock. He had to sit down for a moment in the bed to process the news's

"So that's why it looked so..." Randolph then turned to his friend, "Why did you hide this from everyone? Why did you lie and say you didn't have one?"

"Because I rarely use it, and because I'm not supposed to use it. So... my parents decided to completely hide the existence of this crest from everyone, as a way to sort of protect me from ever having to use it."

"Protect you? From the crest?" He sighed, and lightly frowned, "I don't understand."

"Using the crest hurts, Randolph. A lot. I can't use it too much or else I'll get gravely ill."

"So that's why... That's why you're like this?"

She nodded.

They remained quiet for a little while. The awkward silence remained for a good few minutes before Randolph asked:

"I suppose there's no cure."

"Not that I know of. My parents tried everything- doctors, magic. Nothing works."

"But, there has to be something. Right? There needs to be. I'm sure you're not the first one to have ever experienced this. That would be too... too..."

"... Outlandish?"

"Exactly."

For a minute, he looked at her. His eyes showered her with sadness and terror.

He slowly took her hand in his and pressed it firmly.

"We'll find something. I'll help you. There has to be something. I'm sure there-"

But before he could continue his sentence any further, (Y/N), with the strength that still remained in her, jumped in his arms and hugged him tightly.

A tear streamed down her cheek.

"Thank you, Randolph."

"And I'll keep this whole crest thing a secret for you, until you're ready to tell the others," he gently pulled her away so he could look her in the eye with the most earnest expression, "But I think we should tell the professors about this, and do some research. I'm sure we'll find something, with the right help."

She said nothing, and that's when Randolph understood that maybe his friend still needed time to find the courage to talk about her issue with the others.

"... Does it still hurt? Using the crest today?"

She nodded, but beneath her tears, she lightly smiled.

"But your kindness is healing me, I think."