Byleth X Reader- A gift (Request)

Request: @TopFedoraCrew
Warnings: None
Word count: 744
Gender: Female
Additional Info: Female!Byleth X Reader

Had a lot of fun writing this, and it's nice for once to write something that has meaning and is a little more poetic. I usually don't write these kinds of writings for Wattpad. This is the type of stuff I write for Ao3 (or at least try to), and I don't mean any offense. I just think that different platforms are meant for different purposes. Wattpad is more of a 'quick cute oneshot place', you know? While Ao3 is meant for longer, more thought over writings.
Anyways, enjoy!

(Y/N) didn't expect to see a gift from Byleth today.

Byleth gave her students many gifts. They were random objects, such as toys, tea sets, feathers, amongst others.

The professor gifted (Y/N) with a flower. A simple flower that she had plucked on her way to the monastery, nothing too extravagant.

(Y/N)'s face turned grim, but she politely accepted the gift nonetheless, welcoming it with a melancholic smile.

Byleth noticed how she didn't seem too happy with the flower she was given.

"You don't like the gift?"

"It's not that I don't like it..." She awkwardly started. The gesture was nice.

"But I'd like to ask you to never give me a picked flower ever again."

Byleth frowned, a little confused, "Why not?"

"Flowers like these, that were plucked just to be given to someone else a gift, only are appreciated for a day. People forget about them when they die and just throw them away. It's not a gift that lasts, and I'll probably forget this flower even existed in a couple of hours."

"But the memory of me giving you this flower will remain, won't it?"

(Y/N) sighed, "It's not enough. It will but I'd prefer to have a physical reminder too. I'd prefer something that lasts longer, like a ring," when she realized what she had just said, she blushed, "Not that I need a ring, professor! I don't need anything expensive. Just something that lasts."

Byleth quietly listened, and when (Y/N) noticed that the professor seemed a little saddened, she was quick to add:

"But that doesn't mean I don't like flowers!" Her eyes lit up and she smiled, "I love flowers! Professor, I must tell you about this place! Ever since I've come to the academy, I've been visiting this huge flower field... It's not far from here... It's so beautiful! No one goes there and I haven't told anyone about it."

"I'm sure the others would love to visit your field. You sounded quite happy when you talked about it," Byleth noted.

The girl shook her head, "Just for other people to pluck flowers to gift them to someone? No. I'd rather be the only one who goes there."

"Then why are you telling me about this flower field of yours?" The professor raised a brow.

"I don't know... It just felt right, I guess," that was all she said.

Byleth was right. Why was she telling her about the flower field? It was one of her most personal and sentimental hobbies, one she never shared with anyone. So why was she sharing it with Byleth?

Maybe it was because the professor meant something to her. Yeah, that was probably it.

~~~~~~~~~•~~~~~~~~~

(Y/N) followed what her heart was telling her. She had already shared the flower field secret with Byleth so she might as well finish what she had started.

"Where are you taking me?"

(Y/N) laughed, "You'll see!"

Byleth, eyes closed, blindly followed (Y/N) who held onto her hand. Little did she know, the girl was actually taking her to that flower field.

When they had finally arrived, (Y/N) gave the professor permission to open her eyes.

Upon opening them, Byleth fell upon an enormous flower field, filled with so many different colors and shapes, as far as the eye could see, that her eyes were starting to hurt from the brilliance.

But it was difficult to close her eyes. Everything was so beautiful, and (Y/N) was still holding onto her hand.

"Do you understand now, professor? Do you understand that an eternal flower field like this one is a better gift than a ephemeral plucked flower?"

"I do," Byleth smiled, looking at her, "I've never had such a beautiful gift. Thank you."

They both stood quiet for a while, basking in the wondrous field, before (Y/N) turned to Byleth.

"I realized why I told you... About the flower field. It just felt right and you're special to me... Very. I realized that I could share this special place only with you. Byleth," she blushed, "I can't believe I'm saying this, but I actually realized that I love you."

Byleth blushed, for the first time in many years, and she smiled.

"I love you too. This place is beautiful. Thank you for sharing it with me."

That was all they said. The rest of the evening was spent taking walks in that very special flower field.