Chapter 113

"Hawkstar, can I discuss something with you?"

Hawkstar looked up to see Smokepaw. Well, this was a surprise. It had to be important. Like his father, Stonesplash, the young apprentice didn't get bothered by much.

"Of course. Tell me what's on your mind," Hawkstar meowed.

"Why did you make Birchleg my mentor?"

"As you know, our Clan is small but growing. We have as many apprentices as we have warriors. You were amongst the last to be apprenticed so there weren't many warriors to choose from. Even if I did, I would have still chosen Birchleg to mentor you. He can be...a lot but I believe you can help him become an even better warrior. He needs an easy apprentice that can pick things up quickly and help balance out his energy. At the same time, he can help you to be flexible and keep you on your paws."

"It just feels like I'm the mentor and he's the apprentice. I work twice as hard as my denmates. This is not what I was hoping my apprenticeship would be like." Smokepaw shook his head. "I know you can't change my mentor. I just wanted to know your reasoning. Thanks for hearing me out."

Hawkstar could only watch as Smokepaw left his den. Was he being unfair to Smokepaw? He believed he had made the right choice but still...he would keep a close eye on the young tom's training in future.