Chapter 74

Daisyheart was dead.

Honeypool had awoken at dawn to check on the four cats now sick with greencough. Bramblestripe, Stonesplash and Swanflight were sick but stable. Daisyheart-the first cat to have fallen ill-had rapidly declined. In the end, there had been nothing Honeypool could do for her.

The only comfort Honeypool had was that Daisyheart was happy and healthy, reunited with her kits in StarClan. Now came the hard part: telling Breezefoot. The gray tabby and white tom had adored his mate. Losing her would destroy him. Yet, there was no avoiding it.

Honeypool headed for the elder's den, the rough snores of Beetleflight rumbling through the air. The young medicine cat headed for the nest Breezefoot shared with Daisyheart. The elderly tom wasn't sleeping, head resting on the side of the nest but eyes open. Their eyes locked and Breezefoot jolted to his paws.

"You wouldn't be here if it weren't bad news," Breezefoot rasped.

"I'm so sorry Breezefoot but Daisyheart is gone," Honeypool meowed.

Breezefoot shook his head as if he didn't hear but then he moaned, a deep pain-filled sound. He collapsed, his once powerful frame unable to support him any longer.

Feeling helpless, Honeypool could only watch, heart twisting to see a Clanmate in so much distress and being unable to do anything to ease his pain.

Breezefoot raised his head to look at Honeypool. "I'd like to see her."

"I'm sorry. My den is full of sick cats and the risk is too great. We can't lose any more cats," Honeypool meowed.

Breezefoot flattened his ears. "She's my mate. I have every right to see her!"

Honeypool had expected anger but that didn't make it any easier to face.

"Honeypool is right. The last thing this Clan needs is for the greencough to spread. You should remember well how deadly greencough can be," Doeheart told Breezefoot, coming up to stand beside Honeypool. "You may not be a warrior anymore, Breezefoot but you can still protect your Clan."

Breezefoot glared at the past and present medicine cats before he finally turned away.

"Go on. I'll take care of Breezefoot," Doeheart urged.

Honeypool nodded and returned to her den. She set to work preparing Daisyheart's body for burial. Then, she fetched Hawkstar. She couldn't bury the elder alone and Hawkstar had lives to spare. Hawkstar didn't hesitate as Honeypool settled Daisyheart atop his shoulders.

As they left the medicine den, the camp was ominously quiet. Every cat was either sick, holed up in their den or out on patrol. It wasn't far from camp and they soon enough reached GrassClan's burial ground. It was a beautiful spot like the rest of the meadow but Honeypool hadn't visited since the Clan had said goodbye to Bumbleflight and Shadowheart. She tried not to be overwhelmed by grief, instead focusing on the reason they'd come.

"May you have swift running, good hunting and shelter when you sleep," Honeypool meowed.

Hawkstar and Honeypool returned to camp and Hawkstar immediately had to leave on a hunting patrol while Honeypool checked on the other sick cats. Thankfully, they appeared to be holding stable. Exhausted, Honeypool tried to get some sleep, though it was disrupted by the coughing of the sick cats.

"Honeypool!"

The young medicine cat got up to see Wildbloom standing at her den entrance. "Yes, Wildbloom?"

"Could you come check on Fernshade? I think she's sick."

Honeypool felt a jolt of dread. Fernshade was young and strong. Her kits, however, were only a quarter moon old. They were so small and fragile. If they got sick...