Chapter 6

Half-moon had arrived, the first that Honeypaw had since joining GrassClan. She had quickly adjusted to life in her new Clan. Doeheart was kind and patient, only needing to show the minor differences between the two Clans, like where to look for herbs. Otherwise, things felt the same. Treatments and herb storage hadn't changed.

Honeypaw still missed Mosspool but was soothed by the thought of seeing him again. What helped most was having Bumblepaw with her. They may be training for different paths but he was still her brother. Unlike her, he missed nothing of PineClan. He was thriving in their new Clan.

"I'm glad I left," Bumblepaw confided when they met at the fresh-kill pile. "Things are so much better here than they ever were back in the forest. Wildbloom is a great mentor and never loses her patience with me. The others treat me like a warrior already. I know this doesn't make sense but GrassClan feels like home."

"That's great, Bumblepaw!" Honeypaw purred. She knew how unhappy he had been in their birth Clan. She loved seeing him find a place he could belong.

The siblings shared a plump sparrow between them, purring with laughter as feathers flew.

Once finished, Bumblepaw carefully gathered the scattered feathers. "The elders are gonna love these! Have a safe journey to the Star Stones tonight!" With a wave of his tail, he padded off.

Doeheart and Honeypaw set off for Star Stones shortly before sunset. Old as Doeheart was, they traveled slowly, the brown she-cat leading the way. They met up with Rainsong on the other side of the ravine and found Sunstripe waiting for them in their usual spot. Doeheart and Rainsong settled down for a chat and Sunstripe decided to take the opportunity to wash his face. Honeypaw faced the direction of the PineClan camp, eyes searching for only one thing.

"Mosspool!" Honeypaw called, racing to meet her former mentor.

The gray tom touched noses with her briefly. Let's get a move on. Don't want to keep the others waiting."

Honeypaw walked beside Mosspool, their pelts brushing. How she had missed this!

As they joined the others, Sunstripe took the lead while Rainsong and Doeheart continued their conversation.

"You look well," Mosspool observed.

"Doeheart is nice to work with and my duties aren't too different from what they were before," Honeypaw explained.

"I knew you would be fine. You are as compassionate and knowledgeable as a medicine cat should be."

This simple praise warmed Honeypaw from nose to tail.

"Are our former Clanmates settling in as well as you have?" Sunstripe asked.

"From what I can tell," Honeypaw ventured slowly, not oblivious to Thistletail's mistrust, unaware that she shared the deputy's misgivings about Shadowheart. The apprentice medicine cat sensed the black she-cat was hiding something...but what?

"Thistletail and Hareflight seem to be having the hardest time," Doeheart confided. "Where Thistletail is angry, Hareflight is withdrawn. After everything our Clan has been through, it's no surprise to me but I hope that-given enough time-they will see that the volunteers are a blessing from StarClan."

By now, they had reached the Star Stones and they followed the trail to the Moon's Heart.

"Before we share with StarClan, there is something that I've been waiting my entire life to do. Honeypaw," Doeheart meowed, beckoning the young she-cat with her tail.