Chapter 72

"Bramblestripe!"

A paw jabbed him in the ribs and the dark brown tabby tom jerked awake. "What?"

Flowerpetal looked at him with concern. "Did you forget you're supposed to be leading a hunting patrol today?"

Bramblestripe blinked blearily at the she-cat. He felt fuzzy-headed like he hadn't slept at all even though he had. As he rose to his paws and stretched, his body felt heavy as stone. He plodded out of the warrior's den and sneezed, blinking in the sunlight that suddenly hit him. He gave himself a hard shake.

Snap out of it, Bramblestripe!

Hawkstar and Wildbloom were waiting for them. Bramblestripe didn't know how much longer Wildbloom had before she kitted but to his inexperienced eyes, it was any day. Yet, she still hunted and patrolled like she always had. Bramblestripe wasn't surprised Hawkstar tried to patrol with his mate whenever possible. It was only natural given Wildbloom's current condition.

"Bramblestripe, are you alright?" Wildbloom asked, mew heavy with concern.

"Huh? Yeah, I'm-" Bramblestripe sneezed, "fine."

"If you're not feeling well, you can stay in camp. We can manage," Hawkstar offered.

"That's not necessary."

"Well, if you're sure..."

"I am."

Not wanting to discuss it further, Bramblestripe led the way out of camp. Unfortunately, the hunt did not go well. Bramblestripe felt clumsy and slow. Even Wildbloom caught more than he did and she was heavy with kits. All Bramblestripe could manage was one measly mouse.

"As soon as we get back to camp you're going to Honeypool to be checked out," Hawkstar ordered Bramblestripe.

"Yes, Hawkstar." Bramblestripe agreed without protest. He felt worse than he had this morning and he couldn't ignore it anymore.

Bramblestripe headed for the medicine den only to find it empty. Thankfully, he didn't have long to wait.

"Good morning, Bramblestripe," Honeypool greeted with a cheery tail wave. "What can I do for you?"

Bramblestripe sneezed in response.

At once, Honeypool's good mood vanished and she was all seriousness. She ushered him to the nearest nest.

"How long have you been feeling sick?" Honeypool asked.

"Since I got up this morning," Bramblestripe admitted.

"And you still went out on patrol?"

"It's not like any other cat could take my place. We've already got two queens in the nursery with one soon to follow."

"You have a fever and a runny nose. You're not any good to the Clan right now."

"How long do I have to stay here?"

"For a few days, at least, perhaps a quarter moon."

"A quarter moon?!" Bramblestripe would have protested but he suddenly coughed, his throat now burning.

"GrassClan can manage without you until you're well. Now, eat these and get some rest."

Honeypool gave Bramblestripe some herbs to eat and he did so without protest; he couldn't taste them with his stuffy nose. He burrowed into the soft nest with a weary sigh. A few days and he would be back to normal. The Clan would be fine until then.